Broken filament/ not sticking to plate/ little to no flow

sgtserger

Posted · Broken filament/ not sticking to plate/ little to no flow

It was printing fine until I had started a new project today and it was not sticking to the glass plate.

reset, re-calibrated, then I noticed a large gap in the filament, I did a factory reset and the filament is now touching (the break is there but they're touching) and when I calibrated there was flow of filament through the nozzle.

Re-calibrated again and very little is coming out, I've noticed there are more breaks in the filament but it is sticking to the plate now but in small bits. I will remove the filament and try the atomic method next in case there is a clog.

so my question is:

It is currently VERY cold outside, does that affect the adherence/breaking of the filament/flow from nozzle since it it in a non the garage/ a cold environment? ( i think it does)

Should the Ultimaker2 be kept inside/ at room temp?

Hi,

could you upload a picture of the breaks in your filament?

It is hard to imagine what you are exactly experiencing, and pictures always help! :)

How do you store your filament?

How cold is it exactly?

The ambient temperature does certainly affect the working of an Ultimaker.

The ideal temperatures for operating are between 10ºC and approximately 32ºC.

The level of moisture and temperature in the room/area can definitely influence both the adhesion and condition of your filament.

I had similar issues.. Also as you noted it had been colder recently. I was having inconsistent flows and random layers partly missing as well and some prints were just missing the top like 5-10 layers and just printed like string.

Only change was the room was now about 10-20f cooler than the last time I printed. Turned up extruder temp by 10c and now printing flawlessly. Also put a piece of paper in front of the machine to block the front cut out to help retain heat better. Prints are awesome now.