Problems with RetractWhileCombing plug-in

LePaul

Posted · Problems with RetractWhileCombing plug-in

I've been having problems with prints showing errant lines on them. Other members mentioned it was an issue with combing.

I have Cura 15.04.03 and before trying the plug-in, thought I would give the Advanced/Expert settings option to turn Combing OFF a try.

Here's a test part with the default settings (Combing on ALL)

You can see the un-desired lines show up on an otherwise good print.

IMG_9764.thumb.JPG.3a3ca00bb1439c56f244082871adf1f4.JPG

With Combing OFF, we see some underextrusion

IMG_9763.thumb.JPG.3bb92d85e91945f929442748162229f7.JPG

So it looked to me like I should try the Plug-In (RetractWhileCombing)

I closed Cura, copied the file to the proper sub-folder and launched Cura again.

Under the Plugins, I selected RetractWhileCombing and hit the down arrow to enable it.

I got some pop up activity showing it was working, then it sat at this screen for a very long time.

565d067133644.thumb.JPG.ecb45d3b4c48a0b4210eb1363c7bfc98.JPG

Should this eventually complete? When will it change to show the print time?

Do I need to change any of the settings listed?

Thanks!

IMG_9764.thumb.JPG.3a3ca00bb1439c56f244082871adf1f4.JPG

IMG_9763.thumb.JPG.3bb92d85e91945f929442748162229f7.JPG

565d067133644.thumb.JPG.ecb45d3b4c48a0b4210eb1363c7bfc98.JPG

That part of the plugin-Cura interface is a bit glitchy. Maybe you can move the object slightly to provoke a re-slice?

You should also specify the proper start and end height or layer. If you insert layer numbers, please keep in mind that they start with layer 0 in the gcode (which the plugin refers to). Alternatively you can also select the 'first and last layer only' option.

Is it auto-detecting the starting and ending Z or is that default for any object?

Only the 'first and last layer' option is auto-detecting exactly those two layers. All other settings have to be set manually.

@Dim3nsioneer I just started using the plugin myself. Regarding the layers count, do you mean that for a model with 55 layers, I should input 52 as starting layer no. and 54 as ending layer no. if I want the plugin on the last 3 layers? Also, could I use the plugin twice in the same model, and have the same settings for layers 0-2 as well? Thanks.

@Dim3nsioneer I just started using the plugin myself. Regarding the layers count, do you mean that for a model with 55 layers, I should input 52 as starting layer no. and 54 as ending layer no. if I want the plugin on the last 3 layers? Also, could I use the plugin twice in the same model, and have the same settings for layers 0-2 as well? Thanks.

That's how it is intended. Please let me know if it does not this for you.

Posted (edited) · Problems with RetractWhileCombing plug-in

Thanks, I will try that and let you know. Would you please tell me the suggested values for Minimum Distance, Retract Speed and Retract Distance as well? I'm trying to print a small replacement foot for my keyboard:

msfoot.thumb.JPG.dfb4176c639842aca8e99c831d3cbf5c.JPG

msfoot.thumb.JPG.dfb4176c639842aca8e99c831d3cbf5c.JPG

Edited by Guest

Retract speed and distance are only used on UMOs and other RepRap-machines, not on UM2s (Ultigcode). On UM2s the values from the menu settings are taken.

I achieved nice results with a minimum distance of 2mm.

Keyboard stand?

Posted (edited) · Problems with RetractWhileCombing plug-in

Keyboard stand?

No, small foot that broke from my keyboard (on the left the broken part, on the right the 3D printed one):

P1010802-1.thumb.jpg.ea6276152e16ba37b483849504948222.jpg

Turned out quite nice (although, now that I look at it up close, my bed levelling was not right):

P1010809-1.thumb.jpg.8e6b58ade1e70de4cf4c6657fe5b7261.jpg

P1010802-1.thumb.jpg.ea6276152e16ba37b483849504948222.jpg

P1010809-1.thumb.jpg.8e6b58ade1e70de4cf4c6657fe5b7261.jpg

Edited by Guest

Well if you see my part results, I had some oddities too

Yours look indeed like retraction issues. I didn't have any of those, but I did have lines that do not touch each other, probably indicating that my bed was not levelled as close to the head as it should.