Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Eunice

Terrible End of Printing and Rough Surface

Hi,

Thank you in advance for reading this :-)

I've bought the Ultimaker 2 two months ago, and learned a lot about it :-)

But there is still two problems:

1. When I try to print flat surface, there is always some lumpy parts, as below:

2lvhdf8.jpg

and below (left)

2dtyi3l.jpg[/img]

2. At the END of printing, it cannot finish extruding immediately, so the remaining filament drops on the surface of my sample, as below (right)

2dtyi3l.jpg[/img]

So could someone provide some suggestion about that? Thank you very very much!

What temperature, speed, and layer height are you printing at?

I never get those issues - I think you may be printing too hot but the problem is if you cool down you might also have to print slower - a lot slower. It depends what layer height and speed you are at now.

What temperature, speed, and layer height are you printing at?

I never get those issues - I think you may be printing too hot but the problem is if you cool down you might also have to print slower - a lot slower.  It depends what layer height and speed you are at now.

Thank you :-)

I printed at 210 °C (PLA), speed 50 mm/s, layer height 0.1 mm/0.04 mm.

So can I know what temperature is your PLA? And the speed you're printing?

PS: I think 50 mm/s is very slow, because it always takes 2-3 hrs for my sample (4 cm*6 cm* 3 mm)...

50mm/s is pretty normal. You can print 100mm/s but it depends on what sort of quality you are after and the nature of some designs work best printed slow.

You need to understand that prints take time but If you want faster prints then get the Olsson Block as you can print upto 4 x faster with a 0.8mm nozzle.

Your temp and speed is ok for 0.1mm but temp maybe a bit high or speed a bit slow for 0.04 mm.

50mm/s is pretty normal. You can print 100mm/s but it depends on what sort of quality you are after and the nature of some designs work best printed slow.

You need to understand that prints take time but If you want faster prints then get the Olsson Block as you can print upto 4 x faster with a 0.8mm nozzle.

Your temp and speed is ok for 0.1mm but temp maybe a bit high or speed a bit slow for 0.04 mm.

Thank you for your kind suggestion, especially the Olsson Block and the temp and speed. I'll try a bit lower temp or a faster speed.

And do you think both of my problem (end of printing & flat surface) can be solved by changing temp/speed? Or this solution is just suitable for one problem?

The only time I have experienced a problem like yours is when therectile is an error and the printer stops causing a melted blob.

It looks over heated. Maybe you could show a short video of the printer finishing a print with the melted blob.

Is this ultimaker grey? There is a batch of grey that prints better at a lot lower temps.

Or maybe you temp sensor is out a bit.

The only time I have experienced a problem like yours is when therectile is an error and the printer stops causing a melted blob.

It looks over heated. Maybe you could show a short video of the printer finishing a print with the melted blob.

Is this ultimaker grey? There is a batch of grey that prints better at a lot lower temps.

Or maybe you temp sensor is out a bit.

Hi, here is the video of ending of printing: At the end, the nozzle still extrude PLA...

View My Video

And sorry for my poor English. This ultimaker 2 is bought on 14/Sep/2015, with a white shell.

it also looks like you don't have skirt turned on?

Hi! I've checked the retraction, and reset it as default. Though it gets better at the ending (remaining filament became fewer), it still has very little string (can be removed).

And the skirt is turned on. I think because I changed the adhesion of the platform, so at the skirt PLA could not get out...