Heater doesn't work? (Original+ Kit)

clarkman

Posted · Heater doesn't work? (Original+ Kit)

Been a long time coming, thanks for all the posts about assembly. After months of building and filming, we finally powered it up tonight!

Auto Home = PASS

Cura Comm Test = PASS

Cura Heater Test = FAIL

The temperature never moves from 23C, head stays cold. We disconnected the heater from the circuit board and tested continuity. Open circuit, arg.

That knocked the wind out of our sails.

What are our options?

Thanks

Clarkman

Hi Clarkman, have you tried it out for a spin or did you never pass the first run wizard?

If you tried to heat it up on the actual Ultimaker Original we should look into other options.

Can you take a picture of your electronics, to verify where everything is connected etc?

Thanks!

I did and got 'Heater Failed' or some such msg on the blue lcd.

Which is not surprising given that others got 23ohms on the element on ours is an open circuit.

I'll do a detailed inspection again tonight, have not dis-assembled the head yet

Dis-assembled, no apparent damage. So, before I pull the wire all the way out, how can I get a replacement (hopefully quickly)? Thanks.

Also we weren't sure, (maybe we didn't read far enough), should the fan on the head have responded and turned on when using the UltiController? It did not budge when I rotated the speed, blade is free not blocked, is this a 2nd problem that we have? It also tests open circuit at the circuit board end of the wire, and when the leads on the fan itself are probed. What is the voltage I should use to test it with? I tried the Sunon site for maglev, and am guessing 24V, but I don't want to pull the sheet metal screws and risk them losing their bite unless I have to (so I can read the whole part number). Again, thanks!

Clark

THANKS!

Posted (edited) · Heater doesn't work? (Original+ Kit)

Sorry SandervG;

You wrote: Please try to use the heated bed through the UltiController and see if that works.

I thought you mean the heater in the print head again.  My bad.  The heater in the print head definitely fails through UltiController.

Get it through my brain, glad I looked more carefully, you said heated bed!

This I have not tried, and cannot until Sunday.  Will report back on that.

cheers!

Edited by Guest

You could try to rebuild a firmware version and edit the pins.h to change the heater pins of the extruder 0 to extruder 1 and change the connection on the board

On pins.h at the motherboard 72 definition swap the values.

If I get some free time today I'll try to build you a firmware with heater and sensor swapped from heater/sensor 0 to 1.

Thanks neotko!

I am worried that when my multimeter tells me that I have an open circuit across the two heater element wires, that it won't work no matter what it is plugged in to. I don't want you to waste your time!

Thanks!

And did the heated bed work?

Does the PT100 work? When you put a hairdryer on your hot end, does it warm up?

Maybe the problem lies not with your heater, but with the registration of the heat.

Edited by Guest

Hey SandervG!

Thanks and Happy New Year!  Just getting back from vacation, here's the summary:

1. Filament heater is open circuit.  With it connected as shown in photo, no heat is produced to the touch, and UltiController announces it failed.

2. Heated bed works.  Both UltiController and my fingers feel the heat.

3. Fan does not spin up.  I tested it with Ulticontroller and with a multi-meter.  It is open circuit at the end of the leads, and at the solder point where the leads attach to the fan.

I don't know about the PT100, but I will test it.  The head is dis-assembled at the moment, and my next opportunity for testing is tomorrow.  

Cheers

Edited by Guest

About the fans. Try to connect it to the led pwm.

Use the gcode to turn on the led:

M42 S255" to turn them on.

"M42 S0" to turn them off.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/9607-leds-on-umo-out-of-the-box#reply-83026

This way you can fast test the fans. If it works, then the pwm fan might have problems.

Sorry btw I wasn't able to make you the firmwares, it's been a non stop weeks of work.

Thanks neotko!

That link confirms for me that 24VDC is the fan power, so I can use my power supply to test the fan, and the firmware commands and my oscilloscope to test the circuit board outputs.

Happy New Years!

OK, finally got to my building to test.

Using a 24VDC battery, I confirmed that extruder fan works.  But filament heater is broken as it has ever been.  Heater bed works.

We learned that with Ultimaker+ on its side, we can see red LED lighting to indicate power being applied to heater, 24VDC is measured across terminals of circuit board.  But we can hold the filament heater in our fingers (it's dead cold) until the Ulticontroller LCD goes blank and displays 'Heating Failed.'  We measure open circuit across filament heater.

There is only one conclusion, the filament heater is broken.  I can try and disassemble it, but that seems wrong.  I need to get a replacement filament heater.

Warranty, whatever, I don't care.  I want to get past this so we can start to use the printer.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

well if it's the heater himself and not the board it's a easy fix but you said that fans don't work by ulticontroller so..

I would call reseller fast fast.

I know that somewhere I can find the part number since this is open-source hardware, am I correct?

The part itself is not marked. SandervG, can you get me a replacement?

Thanks.

You could try a e3d 24v 40w heater, it should fit inside the aluminium block, but the cable length it's only 1m. I think umo+ heater cable it's longer?

Yes it's almost 1.5m

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker-Original-Plus/tree/master/1513%20Heater%20Cartridge%2024V%2040W

Edited by Guest

Hi @Clarkman, my apologies for my late reply.

I have been to a show in London and it was very busy.

Have you already found a solution?

If you haven't, please send me your details in a DM and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks SandervG;

I already bought a replacement heater from www.fbrc8.com, a nominally $5 part for $50, arg.

We took it for a spin for the first time last night, but the bed was way too low. I'll post about that separately

Clark