Build Plate doesn't move by hand and error Z Switch Broken

MartinBrabs

Posted · Build Plate doesn't move by hand and error Z Switch Broken

Just opened our Ultimaker 2 Go.

We followed the instructions at : https://ultimaker.com/en/support/127-unboxing

The instructions show that the build plate can easily be moved upwards by hand. It is absolutely stuck with no movement at all.

We then turned on the machine and it makes some mechanical noises. Build plate does not move. After which the screen reports the Error " Z Switch Broken"

We looked at the Z Switch underneath the machine, and we can see that the screw underneath the build plate is not making contact with the switch. Tested the micro-switch with a multimeter and it works as you would expect.

Should I just return the machine or am I missing something really obvious?

Depends of course if you want to figure it out yourself... ;) Personally, although I'm curious about finding the source of an error usually, I would return it as it is unused. If such a problem happens later on after having successfully printed for some time situation may be different. Don't spoil your first experience with the printer... as I can see you already checked the most obvious things yourself.

If it's brand new then I would send it back right away. On the UM2 the build plate moves with a bit more force then the movie clip implies but it still moves. Something is seriously wrong - rather annoying for a new machine.

Thanks Guys, this confirms what I thought that there is something badly wrong.

I think you are right returning the printer is the best option as its under warranty.

Our last 3D printer we built so its very tempting to start taking it apart and trying to fix it. The machine looks really well made and I loved the lights that came on , can't wait to get a working one.