100% Infill prints on Ultimaker 2 keep stopping after first layer?

junshi

Posted · 100% Infill prints on Ultimaker 2 keep stopping after first layer?

I've been trying to print some PLA samples at 100% infill but every time the printer stops after the first layer and seems to get stuck? We've tried printing the same file using ABS and a different reel of PLA and they work fine. Any tips on print speed or temperature that we could try to reduce the chances of it doing this again?

Picture shows two attempts at the sample plus one completed one at 75% infill for comparison. You can see on one of the attempted 100% ones that the nozzle has gone in a funny direction as it tries to begin the second layer. I have deliberately not printed the samples with a solid top or bottom face.

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm hoping to do some tests on the samples for my 3rd year research project :)

[Print settings used: layer height 0.6mm, print speed 50mm/s, temperature default - I'm using Cura 15.04.2]

5a3315e20fdb2_DSC_00237.thumb.JPG.0f729763e2cde24f5adf5317662a99c0.JPG

5a3315e20fdb2_DSC_00237.thumb.JPG.0f729763e2cde24f5adf5317662a99c0.JPG

Posted (edited) · 100% Infill prints on Ultimaker 2 keep stopping after first layer?

On the basis that the failing filament is stopping in the same place every time, I doubt that you have a problem with the filament. Similarly if another PLA filament and ABS are OK, I doubt you have a problem with the drive/feed system.

I assume you used exactly the same settings for all three filaments, apart from increasing the temp. for ABS? Although, I am guessing here as I do not have an Ultimaker and do not have those "smart" options with "standard" settings behind them, but if you say you are using ABS I guess that that the standard settings for ABS change the temperature.

But if you ARE using the same settings for both PLA filaments then it does not make a lot of sense. I suspect your problem is your layer height. You do not say what your "initial layer thickness" is but I guess that is 0.3mm

I do not think anybody uses 0.6mm layer height, with 0.3mm being the normal maximum; the help tip on the Cura box for layer height says that 0.25mm is the maximum - my printer is fine with 0.3mm.

Either Cura sees 0.6 as the layer height and just goes into a terminal abort "does not compute" mood so that no gcode is generated after the initial layer.

Or, as you are using "default temperature" I suspect this is not hot enough to melt the filament enough to allow it to push through double the plastic required for 0.6mm and it just clogs up in the nozzle.

But as the printer stops, rather than carries on printing with no filament being extruded, I suspect it is the first point.

Of course what is confusing about your post is that it works OK with a different PLA filament - confusing if, of course, you are running that with a 0.6 layer height. It would be worth using a layer height of 0.25mm and see what happens.

Edited by Guest

Posted · 100% Infill prints on Ultimaker 2 keep stopping after first layer?

Im pretty sure the box would go red in cura and tell you youre settings may not work. It did with me and i was trying 0.3, so at 0.6, forget it. At least at 210 with a 0.4 nozzle.