How to print a architecture with pitched roofs?

swq0603

Posted · How to print a architecture with pitched roofs?

Now I am trying printing a architecture with pitched roofs. But the top of the pitched roofs is not satisfied, since it is very thin. During printing , the nozzle is very close to the model. So it is melt by the nozzle and move with the nozzle together. Btw, now I am using 0.4mm nozzle. Is it possible to make a good result for the pitched roofs with a smaller nozzle such as 0.2mm. Thanks a lot!roof.JPG.b0b035c134a58c6de93b808042fc0ece.JPG

roof.JPG.b0b035c134a58c6de93b808042fc0ece.JPG

The problem here is that the printed area is very small, so the previous layer doesn't have time to solidify enough when the new layer is printed.

Two major ways to solve this:

1. Use cool head lift (expert settings). This will lift the head and increase cool time. Not my favourite technique but it works. Problem here is that while waiting the nozzle oozes, so it leaves the print with quite a bit of strings.

2. Print a tower next to the print (same height as your print) (i usually go for a thin cylinder). Make sure that print all at once is checked. The effect is the same as the first technique, but the ooze is limited because it's actually printing. You can also place the tower on the build plate in a way that the fans will still blow on the print when it's printing the tower. I usually go for this solution.

Alternatively you can print two or more same objects (but i can cost more filaments).

Indeed, printing multiple objects is best, especially when having small details.

Pro: you have multiple parts to select the best from

Pro: if in handling afterward something breaks or goes wrong, you have spares

Pro: as described already, time to cool one item if the other is being printed

Con: more material & waste

Thanks DidierKlein and leopop for the suggestion. Then I think the method is to give the tiny details more time to cool. I will try the way you mentioned. :)