Help: Inconsistant layers

bigfunger

Posted · Help: Inconsistant layers

Hi all!

I am having problems with inconsistent layers in my prints. In the past prints would start out fine, and then as they progress upwards would start generating incomplete layers. This can be seen in the fourth image below. However, I switched to another roll of filament, and now the problem happens somewhat randomly regardless of height.

If you can give me any tips to try, I would appreciate it.

5MhrJMU.jpg

tioVTQj.jpg

yKy7WPz.jpg

oVZjL33.jpg

Looking forward to hearing ideas. We are having the same problems but our will stop printing mid print too.

We've adjusted the tension, we've removed and replaced the filament, we've tried the Atomic Method. None of these have helped the situation.

Our printer is only a month old but my next step is looking at the PTFE coupler to see if all the issues has affected that.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

I'm having this same issue as of today. Printer was working perfectly before today. I've noticed when loading filament the feeder motor clicks and struggles to push filament through during normal Loading 2.85mm PLA Filament being loaded.

Once it gets loaded it prints out inconsistent layers

I'm having this same issue as of today.  Printer was working perfectly before today.  I've noticed when loading filament the feeder motor clicks and struggles to push filament through during normal Loading  2.85mm PLA Filament being loaded.

Two points

I wonder whose filament you are using? Poor filament can cause the problems you are experience, i.e. poor/cheap filament will likely have inconsistent filament widths and once you go beyond 3.0mm in real-time measurement problems will start. Then the filament goes back to under 3.0mm and everything is fine until another length of filament with a wide diameter arrives...

Suggest you get a micrometre and measure, at frequent intervals, the length of filament you will use for the print.

Or your filament is stick on the reel - suggest you unwind the filament (the length you need for the print), from the spool and leave tidily on the floor or desk to avoid this.

Failing that you have a partial blockage/rubbing/component failure somewhere in your filament feed path.

You may want to read this, you have underextrusion and it can be caused by many things

I'm having this same issue as of today.  Printer was working perfectly before today.  I've noticed when loading filament the feeder motor clicks and struggles to push filament through during normal Loading  2.85mm PLA Filament being loaded.

Two points

I wonder whose filament you are using? Poor filament can cause the problems you are experience, i.e. poor/cheap filament will likely have inconsistent filament widths and once you go beyond 3.0mm in real-time measurement problems will start.  Then the filament goes back to under 3.0mm and everything is fine until another length of filament with a wide diameter arrives...

Suggest you get a micrometre and measure, at frequent intervals, the length of filament you will use for the print.

Or your filament is stick on the reel - suggest you unwind the filament (the length you need for the print), from the spool and leave tidily on the floor or desk to avoid this.

Failing that you have a partial blockage/rubbing/component failure somewhere in your filament feed path.

I use colorfabb filament and I have been for a long time and printed without any issues through multiple prints that have come out perfectly.  I have a micrometer and it measures from 2.84-2.87 consistently throughout the filament and I haven't touched the filament or the settings

Yup you will find no problems with Colorfabb's filament - normally. But I did have a problem with one reel a couple of years ago which Colorfabb replaced immediately so it is good that you did measure it. At this stage best to work through the problem guide that @DidierKlein sent you to try and find the fault; and keep the link address, it is a great manual.

Hi all,

Had the same problem starting a few weeks after the first use of my Original +

The solution i found was greesing the two vertical sliders in the back of the machine with a little vaseline. By repeating this once in a while i had no more problems.