Stepper Motor or something else is broken?

small

Posted (edited) · Stepper Motor or something else is broken?

Hello,

I have looked and looked to see if anyone else encountered the problem I am facing with my UM2. Unfortunately I havent seen any posts that match my problem so please help me get this printer running.

Here is a video to illustrate the issue.

We checked the X limit switch, the Y limit switch manually. They work perfectly fine. Printer head when manually moved works fine without excess friction. The pulleys are tight (Compared them to my other UM2). We updated the firmware when we first encountered the problem . The current firmware updated is 15.04.2

According to 3dverkstan guide on troubleshooting, we lowered the X & Y  1300mA to 1150mA and then to 1100mA The problem still persists.

Kindly send in your input on how do I fix the problem.

Edited by Guest

The whole printer seems to be making rough noises, its not clear how old the machine is, I  would check the print head moves freely and maybe lubricate all of the metal rods.

You could try "home head" from the maintenance section from front panel, the printer homes to the left first then to the back

If the problem is a micro switch it looks like the one at the back (x axis) where you can see two screws back left, you should be able to hear it working or not by moving the head to the home position. The black block that the print head rod clips into at the back makes contact with the micro switch. no idea where you are located but you may be able to source a replacement switch locally, which could be quicker than getting a warranty replacement.

Its not to difficult to replace, I just re soldered a replacement and up and running

Edited by Guest

Posted · Stepper Motor or something else is broken?

If the problem is a micro switch it looks like the one at the back (x axis) where you can see two screws back left, you should be able to hear it working or not by moving the head to the home position.

Thanks for your response. I checked the limit switch in the back on the X axis. Seems to work fine. I hear a click. Checked the Y axis limit switch as well. It works fine too.

I tried watching your video but only lasted about 40 seconds. Please, stop jittering around like a madman with the camera. Hold it steady for a while at each location you're trying to bring attention to.

That said. You say that you've checked the pulleys, did that also include the pulleys on the motor shafts?

Also, if you look closely where the belts run over the pulleys, does it look like the belt is skipping teeth?

• Like 1

Thanks for responding @IRobertI. sorry about the video. Posting better video's below.

I did check all the pulley's. Yes, that included those on the motor shaft as well. I tightened all of them. They seem to work fine.

The belt aren't skipping teeth. Checked on that. Nothing is scraping against the walls of the machine. Oiled all the rods. The noise seems to be coming from the print head.

When I try to home the print head, this it what it does:

Then its reads X or Y limit switch broken on the screen.

I checked to see if the X limit switch was working: Its works fine. As shown in the video below:

I checked to see if the Y limit switch was working: Its works fine. As shown in the video below:

Here is an overview of the machine as it is right now. I have focused on all the parts. I can't seem to figure out what might be broken.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

First, excellent job on the videos! I wish everyone was that clear when they asked about problems.

I can't see anything obviously wrong mechanically.

The back and forth motion it does at the front of the machine when homing is just... bizarre, I've never seen a machine do that before. Have you tried re-installing firmware and doing a factory reset of the machine? It almost sounds like it's trying to rotate the steppers too fast. It made this noise before you lowered current as well, right?

And if you move the head around by hand with power off, does it feel smooth? Does it require excessive force to move?

I think the left to right limit switch is ok, but I wonder if the front to back microswitch is defective it may be worth checking that the cable to it has not been pinched behind one of the steppers, or maybe you could test the switch's function with a multi meter

Have you tried re-installing firmware and doing a factory reset of the machine? It almost sounds like it's trying to rotate the steppers too fast. It made this noise before you lowered current as well, right?

And if you move the head around by hand with power off, does it feel smooth? Does it require excessive force to move?

Thank you for getting back. We did update the firmware when the machine started to act out. But did not factory reset. But am going to try and do both again.

Yes, it still made the noise when we lowered the current.

The print head moves smoothly with the power off. Will do the necessary like you asked and post soon. Thanks again.

I think the left to right limit switch is ok, but I wonder if the front to back microswitch is defective it may be worth checking that the cable to it has not been pinched behind one of the steppers, or maybe you could test the switch's function with a multi meter

Thanks for getting back. I will try opening the micro switch as you mentioned and check it with a multi-meter.

We tried to narrow down the problem to X and Y axis. For that we made the printer run X axis and Y axis in 2 separate prints. Here are the results.

Y Axis Print:

X Axis Print:

Seems like some problem with the Y axis (Motor). Any suggestions?

In my opinion the Y axis stepper motor is suspect, you could try swapping the X and Y motors to prove this but thats a lot of work. I would reccomend you open a support ticket with Ultimaker

good luck

S

Hello all,

Thank you all so much for the support. The Y motor was the problem. I dissembled it from the unit. Upon inspection, the turns were a bit rigid. Opened the motor, then took the rotor out. I manually turned it a couple of times till it was smooth. Put it back and now its working fine.

Really appreciate all your help! 8)

Edited by Guest