Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
neone

3D

Hi all,

Since the new year I have this little 3D printing period, and the latest work is 3D inspired from the other works I made, but didn't come out of the printer itself.

Sure I could print those modules out, but I had these boxes with those cardboard elements still lying around.

And one of my latest print (mikado) inspired me to do pretty much the same thing, only now with these small rectangles.

In short for years I have been interested in turning a 2D canvas into a 3D sculpture, or mess around with the frame itself instead of just painting the canvas.

This is an attempt to do so with small modules (85x55x1mm)

P1050617-1.jpg

P1050615.jpg

ahh, i love mikado! and the chocolates too! i'm not 100% sure what you mean, but Id get a laser cutter if i was working on only flat stuff. There is no point spending hours doing what can be done in seconds. the overhangs wont let you print your kind of setup in one go using fdm. and as for designing in 3d you can effortlessly create what you are doing wth dynamic simulations or active realtime dynamic simulations if you want total control. There are always multiple methods of creating what you need, it usually comes down to what is most achievable vs most affordable.

Edited by Guest

you are prolly right cloakfiend. :)

For instance this little idea: square variations (a human touch) comes more close on what I want to do now, but on a grander scale.

So I found this site where they sell larger pla plates that I hopefully can heat up in some way and generate adjustments instead of printing a 15cm x 15cm plate.

you could try acetone with the PLA, but the results are not that predictable on flat surfaces, i did something similar to your human touch thing a while back by mistake when i soaked something in acetone too long. looked like a used tissue, lol.

you could try acetone with the PLA, but the results are not that predictable on flat surfaces, i did something similar to your human touch thing a while back by mistake when i soaked something in acetone too long. looked like a used tissue, lol.

Used tissue lol Yeah sometimes prints come out amazing our like total trash. Part of the 3d printing fun I guess :)