Colorfabb Olive PLA issues

Posted · Colorfabb Olive PLA issues

so I have recently got back into 3D printing stuff i have designed after taking a long time just printing stuff for otehr people. sadly after using some lovely colorfabb black, then bule, i switched over to some Olive fillament.

Now it has never been the nicest stuff to put throught my Ultimaker origonal kit, (see long history of over angry posts) but recently my nozzel has just gome completely clogged, so clogged that this time round there was no way of clearing it, and i have had to buy a new one.

But I have had little issue with othoer colours, just the Colorfabb Olive. it appeares to stop for no reason, then the fillament gets chewed up by the knurled bolt.

Could it be age of the fillament? its nearly 2 years old, a bad run, or just worn out parts?

see the rather gritty nozzle :/

5a3316f18e61c_2016-01-2417_25_28.thumb.jpg.b68d1096f9e6f9b4cc76c649e7b02717.jpg

and a few of the piece im trying to print. looks more than acceptable by my standards, far far better than what i was able to produce the last time i tried to print olive

5a3316f1b9c74_2016-01-2417_24_29.thumb.jpg.f4a06418b43800339413eb4058c5f914.jpg

5a3316f206827_2016-01-2417_24_49.thumb.jpg.e6b4ccee3ef293873b4fcc97ba0aa642.jpg

5a3316f18e61c_2016-01-2417_25_28.thumb.jpg.b68d1096f9e6f9b4cc76c649e7b02717.jpg

5a3316f1b9c74_2016-01-2417_24_29.thumb.jpg.f4a06418b43800339413eb4058c5f914.jpg

5a3316f206827_2016-01-2417_24_49.thumb.jpg.e6b4ccee3ef293873b4fcc97ba0aa642.jpg

First thing that comes to mind would be that the filament soaked up humidity and changed its diameter. Better measure it on different spots on the spool (uncoil some meters).

well after measuring it along quite a few points and unwinding most of what was left, my cheap claipers were showing the same diameter as fillament brought just weeks ago.

I do store all my fillament in sealed bags, containers, and with silica gell packs. i think it was just the age of the nozzel. however, new problem, new thread. joyus

It is looking not so bad. Can you share your print settings. Colorfabb Pla likes 200 or lower temperature also slow print Speed like 40-50 mm/s. From your Pictures I think your infill Speed has been between 60-80, when so it is to fast.

It is looking not so bad. Can you share your print settings. Colorfabb Pla likes 200 or lower temperature also slow print Speed like 40-50 mm/s.  From your Pictures I think your infill Speed has been between 60-80, when so it is to fast.

I set the main print speed at 30mm/s, and then tend to manually set it to 80% speed on the machine, and any less than 210degrees C i am never able to get any fillament to loook good, i think the calabration on my baoard may be slightly off as reccomentded temperature guide lines never work for me.

so im printing at a slightly hotter than normal temperature, and a slightly slower speed, with old, but still within tollerance fillament. could it just be a dodgey run?

I use 220 degree for Innofil Pla, 210 for Colorfabb Pla at 50 mm/s. My favorite is Innofil because ist producing overall nice prints than Colorfabb.

I use 220 degree for Innofil Pla, 210 for Colorfabb Pla at 50 mm/s. My favorite is Innofil because ist producing overall nice prints than Colorfabb.

Innofil PLA looks great! and its on a spool!

Without spool is not an Option for me. I saw some manufacturers they sell their products without any spool, how the world is changing. Cola without bottle?

• Like 1

Not needed for Cola, that does not get stuck coming out of the bottle :)

• Like 1