New ultimaker 2+ extended has filament stuck in the feeder

gareee

Posted · New ultimaker 2+ extended has filament stuck in the feeder

As near tell, thats my issue. when I fed the filament the first time for setup, I never saw a "ast" feed and then a slow feed.. instead I saw a slow crawl for 2 minutes up to the nozzle.

I leveled the bed, an attempted to print the robot, and got nothing more than spider webs.

Reading, it sounded initially like the bed wasn't leveled, and the print wasn't sticking, so I re leveled 5 times with no luck. Someone suggested feed issues, and using the change material function, the printer can't pull the filament out to change out.

The filament has regular marks ticked into it from feeding.. is this normal? Also, how to I get the filament out without damaging the feeder? I'm thinking the new feeder should be transparent, so you can easily see internal feed issues.

I waited 3 weeks for the extended + printer, then waited another 3 days because it couldn't be delivered because of the snow storm, drove to meet ups because they were cancelling consumer deliveries because of the backlog, and when I finally get the printer, in 5 and a half hours I have nothing but 2" of spiderweb to show for it.

Needless to say, by first adventure into 3d printing has been less than stellar, and I can't find any reference online from removing the filament from the new feeder system.

Help?

(And I thought I posted this a few hours ago, but it looks like I forgot to hit post topic because I was bouncing between my surface, my phone, and the printer.)

What likely happened is you missed the instructions on screen. When you insert the material and it does the slow crawl, you're only suppose to wait until the filament gets into the clear tube. Then you press the button. It will then Fast forward the filament all the way to the nozzle. If you wait until your filament slowly reaches the nozzle and THEN you hit the button it'll grind the crap out of the filament since it thinks it needs to forward it all the way to the tube.

To remove the filament on the new feeder, it's much easier than the old feeder actually. Heat your nozzle up to 210, there's a little lever on the side of the feeder push and hold that up while you pull on the filament to take it out.

Little patterned diamond notches on the filament is completely normal. This is the bolt biting into the filament in order to move it forwards or backwards.

When you pull the filament out you will likely see a big semi-circle chewed out of the filament. You'll need to cut it off right before this area before trying again.

• Like 1

Yeah, that sounds exactly what happened. Pushing that lever in the back up up though doesn't release the filament... it's really stuck in there.

I'll try again though. If the feeder cover was clear, I could easily see what was going on inside. Once I get printing and have clear filament, I might have found my first customization.

Oh, I'm not ready to take my new printer apart...

It's actually quite friendly to take apart and put back together. But I hear ya. Glad to hear it's printing! :D

Same here. Today I got one of the 5 lb rolls of 2.85 mm pro natural filament from matterhackers. Using the same test settings on the robot, there are some plusses and minuses on the filament change. 5 pounds though for $66 shipped (after a $10 off coupon discount) ain't bad at all price wise for decent stuff.

I'm printing the multi temp test object to see if a tempt change might improve printing quality.