Intense Ghosting and Stringing

brentwerder

Posted · Intense Ghosting and Stringing

I've been printing quite a bit recently, and I'm beggining to notice some ghosting I just can't get rid of. The most recent model I've printed is a little model I sketched up of a UFO crashing into the ground. I've printed it twice now, changing the settings a bit after the first one failed, but if anything the second print looks worse.

20160131_095300.thumb.jpg.dbb3b1a935861686ea1f3725067d1422.jpg

Some intense stringing on the second model I printed.

20160131_095247.thumb.jpg.092d60d38699057f97d3e1629e761dfc.jpg

The model on the right is the first one I printed. It was printed at 205 degrees, at 50mm/s, and with 0.1mm layers. Retractions were 50mm/s and retracted 4.5mm. Travel speed was 250mm. I used 3000mm/s acceleration.

The model on the left is the second print. I printed at 210 degrees, at 20mm/s, and with 0.05mm layers. All retraction/travel settings were left the same. This time, though, I used 1500mm/s acceleration.

I'm really confused as to what's going on here. I had been printing fine until last week when the problems started coming up.

Thanks,

-Brent

20160131_095300.thumb.jpg.dbb3b1a935861686ea1f3725067d1422.jpg

20160131_095247.thumb.jpg.092d60d38699057f97d3e1629e761dfc.jpg

For the second one you increased the temp made it slower and lowered the layer height. All of these changes allow Pla to get really hot and will increase Stringing.

To remove ghosting you normally just reduce the acceleration a bit. Reducing it to much can cause over extruding on direction changes. So try 2200mm/s.

Stringing you want to go colder, so to do this you normally reduce the temp.

If you reduce the layer height then the flow of the plastic is slower so you need to reduce the temp again. This also goes if you reduce the print speed.

• Like 1

Way too hot. You probably should be using less than 190c with 20mm/s and 0.05 layer, assuming you have no blockages or feed system problems - which should be fixed anyway rather than pushing up the temp.

• Like 1

That sounds like better settings.

Its normally best to only change one thing at a time otherwise you wont learn how each change is effecting your outcome. This can be tested with a small test piece.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Intense Ghosting and Stringing

Yikes.  About halfway through the print now, with all the settings listed above:

20160131_172037.thumb.jpg.732bc01931493b0e61ac8d88ce9e5046.jpg

Some crazy layering issues.

Any ideas on what I should change?  I used the LCD monitor to turn the heat up by 5 degrees so it's now at 200C.

UPDATE: I had to stop the print. It wasn't getting any better.

20160131_172037.thumb.jpg.732bc01931493b0e61ac8d88ce9e5046.jpg

Edited by Guest