Can't print at all with the Silver Metallic PLA

wishbone

Posted (edited) · Can't print at all with the Silver Metallic PLA

I bought my UM2 a few months back with a whole bunch of different UM filaments and colours.  So far has been great with a few grinding problems here and there but no show stoppers........apart from the Silver Metallic filament!!  

I literally cannot get this reel to print at all, (everything else was fine; pink, green, white, clear....), every time I use this filament the feeder just eats into it and grinds it away.  I have tried different settings on the screw on the feeder but this makes no difference.  

Was there a batch problem or do I need to adjust something on the settings?

(numbers on the reel are : 8718836370687 UM7021-1168-2546)

Edited by Guest

Posted · Can't print at all with the Silver Metallic PLA

There was a batch problem a while back. To test it you cut 1m off the roll and tape it every 200mm or so in a straight line. leave it over night and the next day if its broken at the tape joins then its a bad roll.

if this is the case then It may print but about 20deg cooler. or heat it in the oven at 70deg for 30mins or put it in a pot with hot water and then let it dry.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Can't print at all with the Silver Metallic PLA

Hmmm... the spool that came with my ultimaker 2+ extended at the end of Jan is printing now, but to get it printing well I had to lower the temp to 195, adjust retraction, and speed the print speed up to 140%. Is there a batch number of the filament?

I might pop it in the oven JUST in case.