Material import from SD card not working properly

mabe

Posted · Material import from SD card not working properly

Hello,

I tried adding a new material to the materials.txt and importing it in the printer. After choosing the new material in the settings and starting a print, I then encounter one of the following three scenarios:

1. The nozzle temp is not the correct one (e.g. 245° specified in materials.txt but the printer uses 230°)
  2. The nozzle temp is shown as 0° in the tune menu during bed warmup (as usual) and switches to -1° when the nozzle is supposed to heat up
  3. The nozzle temp is immediately shown as -1° after during the bed warmup

In case 2 and 3 the printer then starts printing as soon as the bed temperature is reached, but without heating up the nozzle and (luckily) without extruding.

The settings for bed temperature und fan work as expected.

Is my printer the only one behaving this way or is it a known problem?

Also, I have to import the materials.txt every time after powering down the printer. Is this supposed to work this way or are the material settings normally meant to be persistent in the printer?

Hi @Mabe,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the forum! :)

How did you create the material profile?

Did you create it on the Ultimaker first, then export it and import it later?

Thank you!

Posted (edited) · Material import from SD card not working properly

Hi @SandervG,

thanks for the welcome.

I did not create a new material on the Ultimaker itself, since I found the steps needed to achieve that rather confusing :). I exported the three standard materials to SD, then edited the file with Notepad++ and added a fourth one, and then imported it back in the printer.

Edited by Guest

I walk you through the steps what I have done right now.

• Like in your link described, I created a new material named Custom2 on the printer
    • Exported it to SD
    • This is what it looked like in material.txt:
      [material]
      name=CUSTOM2
      temperature=210
      temperature_210
      temperature_195
      temperature_230
      temperature_240
      temperature_240
      bed_temperature=60
      fan_speed=100
      flow=100
      diameter=2.85
    • Then I edited the material like this:
      [material]
      name=NYLON
      temperature=255
      temperature_255
      temperature_255
      temperature_255
      temperature_255
      temperature_255
      bed_temperature=45
      fan_speed=0
      flow=100
      diameter=2.85
    • Imported the material from SD. I have to do the import twice!, the changed material name appears only after the second import in the list!
    • Then I exported the materials to SD again
    • And to my surprise the material data is now a mix of my settings and some of the temperature settings that were originally stored in material CUSTOM2:
      [material]
      name=NYLON
      temperature=255
      temperature_210
      temperature_195
      temperature_230
      temperature_240
      temperature_240
      bed_temperature=45
      fan_speed=0
      flow=100
      diameter=2.85

So it seems that the import function doesn't properly write all the parameters into system memory. Even changing the temperature setting of NYLON then on the printer directly didn't make them persistent.

After furiously switching the SD card between printer and laptop for a while now this seems to be the only way to make it work at the moment:

1. Select Customize on the printer, adjust settings and save as new preset
    2. After this step, the nozzle temperatures for this material cannot be changed persistently, neither on the printer, nor with material.txt
    3. The name and the rest of the settings can be changed on both the printer or the materials.txt

On a side note, the Export to SD function crashed the printer firmware four times over the course of this test.

Also, the sequence of the newly created materials cannot be changed in material.txt, since the nozzle temperatures are bound to the list position, and not to the material name.

From my experience: the import works flawless if you feed it with a correct file. Unfortunately the export function produces a wrong file... (it's a bug IMHO)

As a workaround:

The import should work if you add the missing nozzle diameters manually, like described here.

• Like 2

Thank you, this fixes the import of the temperatures. But unfortunately you still can't change the sequence of the materials. For example, I switched NGEN and NYLON, and this is the results after exporting them:

[material]

name=NGEN

temperature=240

temperature_255

temperature_240

temperature_255

temperature_255

temperature_255

bed_temperature=80

fan_speed=50

flow=100

diameter=2.85

[material]

name=NYLON

temperature=255

temperature_240

temperature_255

temperature_240

temperature_240

temperature_240

bed_temperature=45

fan_speed=0

flow=100

diameter=2.85

As you can see, only the second temperature value (for the 0.25 nozzle) is correct, the other ones are switched. Not so tragic, just something to keep in mind.