Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
xeno

Making the Ultimaker+

Now that I have enough experience of the standard Ultimaker, I really want to rebuild my Ultimaker to a Ultimaker+ with a Z length of about 50cm.

The only thing missing is the Trapezium thread for the Z-axis, where can I buy an exact same but longer version ?

I have a special project that needs the extra hight, and I don't want to spend time glueing parts together :)

Still working on the drawings, but it is the hight I want, and I still need to draw the thicker side panels, and new Z-level bearings.

I got my eye on some bearings with supported rods, to account for movement lengthwise, this means that I will have to do a small redesign of the print bed.

1929590.jpeg

If you have problems with me putting the name "Ultimaker+" on it let me know :)

it still will be 95% made from my own Ultimaker.

After some time, I started back on my Ultimaker+ build,

I received all the necessary parts I need, and I made the 3D drawing to match the parts I have,

so I can CNC the case parts.

The outer shape is already cut, and only need all the mounting holes and openings.

Ultimaker%2B1s.jpg

Well, I have finished the basic build of the Ultimaker+, and have now doubled the height :)

I transplanted all (well most of) the parts of the "old" Ultimaker into the new one, I did have to make some alterations, mostly because of the thicker 8mm Perspex.

surprisingly most of the wiring was long enough to accommodate the extra height, and I only had to lengthen 3 wires from end-stops

I did have to make a complete new printing plateau, for the supported rod bearings, this turned out to be very easy, as I kept it as simple as possible.

The plateau feels very sturdy, and I think the supported rods feel very solid, there is no wobble in the Z-stage at all, and it moves smoothly up and down.

I still will need to do a little tweaking here and there to get it just right, and redo some details I want to improve.

overall I am very happy with the result, and hope the prints will look as nice as I hope they will be :lol:

2942732.jpeg