Do I want to buy a UM2+? I have a Taz5 now

pw83

Posted · Do I want to buy a UM2+? I have a Taz5 now

I have a Lulzbot Taz5 and have been very happy with it. However, I've always been eyeing a UM2 (no + at the time) and have been very impressed by the build quality per the YouTube videos. So I'm looking for some honest and hopefully unbiased feedback as this is a UM forum after all. Does anyone feel I should not get a UM2+ given that I have a Taz 5? I'm not using it for business or anything, started 3d printing a few years back and I just enjoy it a lot.

what do you want to do that the Taz5 can't do?

IMO they are both great machines, very similar in function, but one is way better looking than the other with the taz more of a tinkerer's machine and the UM more refined at non exotic filaments. - so they could compliment each other.

What type of things are you printing or what would you expect from the Ultimaker?

Both a great machines which almost only have positive feedback so I think you can't really go wrong and at the very least expand your horizon and frame of reference in the scene of 3D printing.

Posted (edited) · Do I want to buy a UM2+? I have a Taz5 now

My Taz is highly modded.  Octopi server and changed out all the linear rods to use linear v groove rails.  I've been eyeing the the UM2 simply because it looks like there's minimal cleanup at best from all the Youtube videos I've seen.  While the Taz has been great to me, it seems like the UM would excel in precision.  As far as what I print, pretty much anything.  I primarily use PLA or PETG.  Just as an example, I drew and printed a base for my baby monitor so that it can clip onto the edge of the crib.  Other stuff, include printer mods, random cool things I find on thingiverse such as the nasa wrench etc. Not doing anything super serious and totally just for fun.

With all that said, I guess what I'm expecting with the UM is that I can achieve a cleaner, minimal to no post print processing, and an overall better looking print with no oozing what so ever (like all the YT videos I drool over). I think it would be a worthwhile purchase if you guys think that the UM2+ would complement the Taz 5 in the area of precision and quality.

Edited by Guest

My Taz is highly modded.  Octopi server and changed out all the linear rods to use linear v groove rails.  I've been eyeing the the UM2 simply because it looks like there's minimal cleanup at best from all the Youtube videos I've seen.  While the Taz has been great to me, it seems like the UM would excel in precision.  As far as what I print, pretty much anything.  I primarily use PLA or PETG.  Just as an example, I drew and printed a base for my baby monitor so that it can clip onto the edge of the crib.  Other stuff, include printer mods, random cool things I find on thingiverse such as the nasa wrench etc.  Not doing anything super serious and totally just for fun.  

With all that said, I guess what I'm expecting with the UM is that I can achieve a cleaner, minimal to no post print processing, and an overall better looking print with no oozing what so ever (like all the YT videos I drool over). I think it would be a worthwhile purchase if you guys think that the UM2+ would complement the Taz 5 in the area of precision and quality.

to me this sounds more like a software issue, maybe the Taz just need some more fine tuning or some small upgrade?

Posted (edited) · Do I want to buy a UM2+? I have a Taz5 now

Well if you look at the

and you like what you see I don't think you can go wrong. Also because I am pretty confident about Ultimaker's print quality ;) 

These models are not post processed and give a good indication of what you can expect. There usually is a learning curve involved getting to know the machine and technology but since you are already experienced through your TAZ 5 that probably won't be a problem :)

Edited by Guest