Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ChrisSalzburg

STL-Tweaker: The Open-Source auto-rotate module.

Hi makers & designers!

I'm working on a project to fully integrate 3D-Printing into the manufacturing process. However, this tasks requires a reliable auto-rotate module which positions the object files on the build plate in their optimal orientation.

So I wrote the STL-Tweaker, available as open-source from Github.

This 3D object positioning tool, written in python, is also intended as module for Cura. So feel free to integrate the STL-Tweaker into Cura, your own Software or invoke it from the command line.

model7.png

A prototype with its tweaked clone, tweak your objects

Check out the STL-Tweakers Blogpost for detailed informations and the direct comparison between the STL-Tweaker and the StrataSys' CatalystEX auto-rotate function. You will be amazed!

I'm glad to hear about your applications!

Chris

• Like 1

It could use a bit more documentation in the functions. I'm willing to give it a go to make this into a plugin, but I will need to do a bunch of re-factoring to get it to work (eg; I don't want the plugin to load a file, I want it to use an already loaded file (so it can work for all Cura supported file types)

• Like 2

It could use a bit more documentation in the functions. I'm willing to give it a go to make this into a plugin, but I will need to do a bunch of re-factoring to get it to work (eg; I don't want the plugin to load a file, I want it to use an already loaded file (so it can work for all Cura supported file types)

I'm glad you like the STL-Tweaker. I will publish a extended version of the Tweaker in the next days, which supports also the 3mf format. In this version, the internal work process is clearer.

If you wish, I'll send you a preliminary STL+3mf Tweaker-version (it works just in Linux right now)

To put it in a nutshell, the STL-Tweaker uses the mesh format for the calculations.

The function >tweak< manages the internal workflow, while the other functions are callable form external python code.

Notice the function >arrange<: This one reads the facetts of the mesh format and puts each facett into a 4x3Matrix (Normal vector plus 3 vertices)

If you need more infos, feel free to ask!

An updated version of the Tweaker is now available. The improvements in a nutshell:

Link to the 3d print orientation tool

• bi-algorithmic mode: Two different algorithms complement each other
  • simpler to apply, both in command line and IDE
  • command line parser for presetting tweaking mode
  • significant improvements for objects without plain surfaces

• Like 2