Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
neotko

Pancake Feeder for flexibles UMO+ (1.75mm filament).

This it’s current design (being printed as we speak) for a Pancake feeder for umo+.

The idea it’s to use the same Pancake motor that anders-olsson recomended to foehnsturm for his compact direct feeder on his corexy.

5a3318e1c5f02_Capturadepantalla2016-02-25alas17_24_54.thumb.png.fff18e3248470054cb4bd0960ba02d7e.png

As you can see the motor uses x2 gears, from Misumi (they ain’t cheap, but they are ready to plug on the motor.

Also, on the back of the motor I will insert a 40x40x10 fan to keep it cool. But anders told me that on his test 0.6a where ok for 1.75mm. I will start there and check with a thermal camera to see how hot it gets.

The gears in use are:

GEABN0.5-50-2-B-5

GEABN0.5-15-8-K-5

The Pancake it’s a SANYO DENKI pancake feeder bipolar 0.8º 24VCC

The main idea it’s, like on the image that Anders-olsson shows, to make a feeder addon, that could be removed or inserted to be able to feed directly flexibles (and probably anything 1.75mm).

It will use a mk7 from reprapeurope and the area of the feeder it’s absolutly inspired on the IRobertI feeder (maintly because I don’t have a clue how to do it other way).

This it’s just a start, but as soon I get time (probably a few weeks...) I will assemble and start some tests.

The area that it’s more grey to me it’s the mA change, but I suppose a simple gcode prior using the direct feeder or going back to the normal feeder should suffice. Anyhow since Ultimaker Original firmware don’t have the cool things that Tinkergnome added to um2, I don’t know if it will be easy to manage or a pain in the arse.

Current status: Printing prototype

5a3318e1c5f02_Capturadepantalla2016-02-25alas17_24_54.thumb.png.fff18e3248470054cb4bd0960ba02d7e.png

• Like 2

Will you still use the little black piece that holds the bowden collet? If not, I would consider removing that so you can add more material to the part of the feeder that mounts there.

I remember from way back when the Owen bowden clamp was a near necessity that that area was prone to breaking on the early version. He made another version which was thicker there and it held up much better.