UM2+ feeder jam

RobM

Posted · UM2+ feeder jam

Hello all,

I'm unsure if its the feeder that is jammed or if the filament is somehow clogged in the tube.

I've been printing OK with pla for a couple of weeks. I took the plunge with semiflex ( which is the red filament in the pix ). I had difficulty getting and ended up selecting the change material option which wound the material back along the tube.

I think during this feeder pulling back the filament, some semiflex was still hot, and some stuck in the tube. And so when I fed the filament in again it got jammed at this point.

I'm wondering if the filament is jammed in the tube or if the feeder itself is jammed.

I've lifted the feeder lever at the side ( the one you lift when you feed in new material ) and tried to pull the filament out but its jammed solid. I think the semiflex would break before moving.

Any ideas ?

thank you

Rob

5a3318e43b76b_2016-02-2519_44_46.thumb.jpg.13450cbd661e0a6ae1af5809b9f53fec.jpg

5a3318e487840_2016-02-2519_44_16.thumb.jpg.9d8347f69bb775a1b7bcdc78ca370dd8.jpg

5a3318e4ce986_2016-02-2519_43_38.thumb.jpg.b9bc21f41f32e7fe3811cba282e858ff.jpg

5a3318e43b76b_2016-02-2519_44_46.thumb.jpg.13450cbd661e0a6ae1af5809b9f53fec.jpg

5a3318e487840_2016-02-2519_44_16.thumb.jpg.9d8347f69bb775a1b7bcdc78ca370dd8.jpg

5a3318e4ce986_2016-02-2519_43_38.thumb.jpg.b9bc21f41f32e7fe3811cba282e858ff.jpg

Posted · UM2+ feeder jam

Hi Rob,

I think that little thread of filament you see in your photo is blocking your filament.

Are you able to pull it back out by hand, when there is no power on the Ultimaker?

Alternatively, when that fails you can remove the entire bowden tube from the Ultimaker, put it in hot water to make it soft and then pull it out. You could pull it out, or use another string of filament to push it out.

Good luck!

Posted · UM2+ feeder jam

HI Sander,

Thanks for the reply.

The little thread actually had a stringy part which went all the way to the nozzle. I think the filament was stuck to the nozzle somehow as it retracted for the material change. And so the filament broke in the tube.

And then when re feeding the filament it got stuck and then gathered inside the feeder quite a bit. I took the lid off it and it exploded with rubbery red semiflex springing out.

Took about an hour to figure out how it went back together. Would you know if there an internals image of the feeder somewhere so I can check? OR an assembly/dissasembly guide of sorts?

thanks

Posted · UM2+ feeder jam

Ultimaker 2 does not pull the pla through feeder. It tries to pull when reversing material as opposed to forwarding. Feeder crunches the pla filament 2.85mm at about two inches below the tip and stops. SO the moment also looks opposite to what I can expect.

Visually, the feeder is too tight. I could not loosen it no matter how much I tried, by opening the feeder box as well as after it is closed by using hex.

I cannot go to a repair shop or supplier because I am in Bhutan where there is no spare shop.

Can you explain and help with any DIY method?