Oh crap, what did I break?

the_schire

Posted · Oh crap, what did I break?

Hello, I'm freaking out a bit. So I think I have effectively killed all the electronics on my UMO with HBK. I was scraping residual glue off the heated bed where I had layered it on too thick with the printer on, and all of a sudden, big puff of smoke from under the machine. I instantly killed the power, and now none of the LED's or the Ulticontroller will turn on and it's quite a bit quieter than usual. Moving all the axes by hand feels weird, all the axes are more resistant than they were before. So, down to brass tax, how screwed am I?

I can only think off that you hit the connector some crazy way causing a short circuit.

What happens if you keep the power OFF, but plugin an USB cable?

• 2 weeks later...

I can only think off that you hit the connector some crazy way causing a short circuit.

What happens if you keep the power OFF, but plugin an USB cable?

Oh, sorry I didn't keep this thread updated, warranties are great! My UMO is about a two weeks within its 1 year warranty, and the great people at fbrc8 have worked with me. We discovered that the controller board was dead. However, the motors feel pretty stiff, sometimes don't move as fast, and often times make new noises. Especially the Z motor.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what you could have done to hurt the steppers. They can take a lot of abuse. Are you sure they weren't like that before the electronics failure?

• 1 month later...

I can't imagine what you could have done to hurt the steppers.  They can take a lot of abuse.  Are you sure they weren't like that before the electronics failure?

Sorry I didn't keep this thread updated, something blew on the controller, but fbrc8 sent me a replacement. The stiffness I was experiencing was just a lack of lubrication on the rods, but some wd40 took care of that.

wd40 is not the best choice as it is far more than lubrication. i don't remember exactly which feature is a problem but something in it will degrade performance over time. better use some plain white oil like used for sewing machines, hair cutters or any fast moving mechanics.

WD40 is used to remove stuff like grease, dirt etc. NOT to lubricate things.

Get some sewing oil! And only apply that to the shiny axes. Use grease for the spindle.

• Like 1