Cura starting first layer too high

ollycura

Posted · Cura starting first layer too high

*i've put this here it seems the most appropriate place if it needs to be moved please say*

I've recently built a custom delta printer running on the duet with associated firmware.

Originally i've been using slicer and this has been working well, i'd like to try Cura out as i hear nothing but good things about it, especially for dual nozzles. However i keep encountering the same problem. Whenever i print something the head starts far too high, i can't give an exact distance but enough so the filament doesn't even stick at all , this is on buildtak which on slicer usually sticks like glue. I can't see any glaring issues with z height etc so would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Oliver

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I set it to the same value I use in slicer 0.35.

I could clearly see the space between the nozzle and bed so would guess the gap must have been a couple to a few mm.

Thanks again.

You are going to have to look at the first 20 or so gcodes to understand how your "normal" slicer does homing and gets ready for a print versus cura. Also I assume you are printing in "reprap" mode and not "ultigcode" mode. In reprap mode you can edit the beggining gcodes in cura (once you find the right gcodes to home your head and get into position properly).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies