Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
MFettinger

Thin walls make Cura freak out, simple design, what am I doing wrong?

OK, I am trying to build a rocket to show the physics classes, started with a simple cylinder and did a .8mm offset, extruded to 65mm tall. Added a .4mm ring to the top of the design to keep the motor from sliding through. The printer should just lay down two lines of filament in a circle, done! Unfortunately no matter how many times I level the build plate it is not starting close enough to the glass to get the filament to stick, and it is completely ignoring the brim I told it to do. It just runs in a circle extruding plastic into smushed circles, never getting any taller until it separates from the build plate and starts wandering around.Cura.thumb.jpg.2a867b20bcc7145283e04dcfee57ab8e.jpg

I really wish there was a straightforward way to upload .stl files and gcode. I could really care less about emotacons.

STL file, if this works

gcode, if this works.

Cura.thumb.jpg.2a867b20bcc7145283e04dcfee57ab8e.jpg

Is the 0.4mm ring at the bottom in Cura? You are better to make the ring .41mm and then it will print fine. If it's a single wall thickness the same as the nozzle size the Cura won't print it. So if the .4 is at the bottom then it will only print the 0.8 mm which is higher up.

Always check layer View before you print anything.

I think you're just having 1st layer sticking issues. raise the bed so the 1st layer is flat on top.

Also are you using blue tape, or heated glass?

The STL looks fine and so does the gcode, you just need to get the bed adjusted and fix the sticking issue.

Also the brim is crazy huge, for an object like this I would change the brim to 3 or 4 in the expert settings, for some reason the default brim is 30.