Cura fails to make support structure.

ColinH

Posted · Cura fails to make support structure.

Windows, UM2+ extended. Using sketchup and its .STL exporter.

I have two identical objects made of 2 cubes and 1 cylinder.

I make two versions of it:

1) Fresh. I make the cylinder length L, I put a cube on each end.

2) Rework. I delete the cylinder from an existing original, create cylinder length L and put the existing ends on it.

Both check out as valid solids.

I export to .STL

When I load (1) into CURA the support structure is created.

When I load (2) into CURA the support structure is not created.

Is this a known issue with CURA? Or do I blame sketchup/STL exporter?

I'd like to get some insight into where the problem is created and why.

... so that as things get more complex I know what to do.

thanks in advance for any wisdom.

cheers

colin

Hi Colin

In Cura have a look at x-ray view of your model to see if you can see anything different there.

I have read in the forums here that Sketchup is good for architectural drawings but not so much for modelling and producing STL files.

You may find a thread here about different free cad programs to use.

Good luck

• Like 1

Sketchup also specifies "inside" versus "outside" by color. Have you noticed in sketchup that walls are either white or gray? Well that matters to cura. It could be related to that or what owen is talking about in xray view. That sketchup has 2 major issues frustrated me for years which is why I don't use sketchup anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ... I'm aware of both these issues and have managed to avoid problems by drawing things in a certain order! Not very satisfying for the problem solver but works. My geometry is simple enough (so far) for Sketchup. It's been working well. But I will keep an eye on it. :-)