Max Bed temperature UM original with heatedbed upgrade.

Posted · Max Bed temperature UM original with heatedbed upgrade.

Hello,

I was wondering if the electronics can break when I heat my bed to the max temperature of 185 Celsius.

Or if anything else can go wrong if I let it be at this temperature for a couple of minutes.

Greetings,

Jeroen

Posted · Max Bed temperature UM original with heatedbed upgrade.

It will be tough to get it that hot! It's only 100 Watts I think. But I'm guessing it will be okay. Certainly the temp sensor can handle that. The circuit board should be okay because it can handle molten lead which is more like 250C or 300C. Glass can handle that. Metal can handle that. I suspect it will be fine except without the air temperature being 90C I don't think you can get it that hot with only 100 watts.

But if something breaks you won't be covered by warranty! I would go for it and if anything breaks fix it.

Keep in mind the servos can't handle that kind of heat either so move the servos outside the printer (very easy and requires no hardware - not even an extra screw - but requires software change to reverse direction). I forget the max operating temp of the servos but they are okay with 40C air temp. 90C air temp is too much. I forget if 80C is the max allowed air temp or the max allowed servo temp.

You will need good insulation to get it that hot! Plus maybe a second heater. Don't let the second heater get the electronics hot though! Insulate the bottom of the printer as well!