Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
neotko

UM2 fans minimum pwm to start?

I bought two um2 fans to my ultimaker distributor to test a fan cap.

The think it's that I thought (erroneously) that um2 fans, like umo+ fan, would start at 10-20-30 etc. But I need to have kickstart option enabled (thanks to amedee firmware experimental) and a 100-102/255 so they even start spinning.

So my question its. Does um2 firmware has a higher minimum pwm to compensate this?

Also I must say that I'm quite disappointed with the airflow they do. My dual 40x40x20 fans make almost triple air at max pwm (they also are almost the double in price).

I asked this a month and a half ago.. ANYONE knows the answer?

I just installed a um2+ hotend on other umo+ (this time all original) and the same happens.

I saw a marlin command but I don't find it on any marlin ultimaker 2, so I'm clue-less

Does UM2 has a FAN_MIN_PWM hidden on the firmware? This it's a bit nuts...

I've found here:

// When first starting the main fan, run it at full speed for the// given number of milliseconds.  This gets the fan spinning reliably// before setting a PWM value. (Does not work with software PWM for fan on Sanguinololu)#define FAN_KICKSTART_TIME 200#define FAN_KICKSTART_MINPWM 20

Property times the differences in the firmware picked out:

Marlin_UM_Original_Plus

Configuration_adv.h

//#define FAN_KICKSTART_TIME 100

planner.cpp

#if defined(FAN_PIN) && FAN_PIN > -1 #ifdef FAN_KICKSTART_TIME   static unsigned long fan_kick_end;   if (tail_fan_speed) {     if (fan_kick_end == 0) {       // Just starting up fan - run at full power.       fan_kick_end = millis() + FAN_KICKSTART_TIME;       tail_fan_speed = 255;     } else if (fan_kick_end > millis())       // Fan still spinning up.       tail_fan_speed = 255;   } else {     fan_kick_end = 0;   }

Ultimaker2Marlin-Tinker_16.01

Configuration_adv.h

#define FAN_KICKSTART_TIME 200#define FAN_KICKSTART_MINPWM 20

planner.cpp

#if defined(FAN_PIN) && FAN_PIN > -1 #ifdef FAN_KICKSTART_TIME   static unsigned long fan_kick_end;   if (tail_fan_speed > FAN_KICKSTART_MINPWM) {     if (fan_kick_end == 0) {       // Just starting up fan - run at full power.       fan_kick_end = millis() + FAN_KICKSTART_TIME;       tail_fan_speed = 255;     } else if (fan_kick_end > millis())       // Fan still spinning up.       tail_fan_speed = 255;   } else {     fan_kick_end = 0;   }

Property times the differences in the firmware picked out:

Thanks men!

@Amedee just released a new experimental branch to have FAN_MIN_PWM so my problems are forever gone for any kind of fan I use (and I use 3 machines with different fans).

More info about this UMO builder updates here

• Like 1