EMI Interference shielding for wires?

yzorg

Posted · EMI Interference shielding for wires?

Hi everyone,

i added tree Fans and some LEDs to my Ultimaker. (on their own power scource)

Even though i twisted all wires nicely, i withnessed shifted prints when i turned the system on.

EMI Interference seems to be the problem.

its like having interfering steppermotor and endstop cables..

So i asked myself if someone alredy solved this problem somehow.. maybe tested some shielding like this:

http://www.hollandshielding.com/223-R_F ... eld-en.htm

because i dont want to wire everything on seperated ways down to the powerscource.

greetings

Yvo W.

Instead checking for interference, check if the powersupply is strong enough. If you installed LED strips you will notice that they dim a bit when the heater is on. The 19V power supply drops to 18V with the heater on, by adding more and more things you might be straining it too much.

LED and Fans have a seperate power wiring and power supply...

i think im gonna cut some old usb cables that already have shielding and rewire everything for the fans and LEDs

Edit:

This solved the problem.

wasnt Interference i think. but i still rewired everything in shielded cables.

by cranking speed up while printing i found out the problem suddenly vanishes.

i had cura set to produce gcode with Printspeed 50mm/s and that was the problem. set to 70mm/s all problems are gone.. its like a miracle.

Hm.

what do you mean by hiding my mechanical problem? its not hiding if the problem is gone completetly. isnt it?

i didnt knew that i had a mechanical problem... since the mechanics work perfectly smooth and my prints actually turn out to be quite perfect.

What do you suggest me to do? i got the hardware triple checked now..

raise the Steppermotor power?

Ah, but the problem is not gone, as you should be able to print at 50mm/s just fine. But you'll encounter it again one day, or maybe your machine is better lubricated now. Until you encounter it again, don't do a thing ;-)

EMI problems from a fan and some leds is extremely unlikely.

EMI problems arise when signals have a high di/dt (change of current over time) and/or high dV/dt (change of voltage over time). Any capacitive or inductive coupling to other wires may give problems on the electronics that is attached.

I had quite some good prints now and the problems didnt came back..

so i guesss it was eigther EMI, Printsspeed, or temporary Gcode failures..

on Hardware side, i didnt change more than the cables...

The Rods are lubricated with sewingmachine oil..

We had EMI problems in my printer workshop in Newzealand. but only on one of two Ultimakers.

Endstopcables were put directly on axis stepper motor cables and that will result in errors...

It was solved easily by redoing the wirelayout on the bottom of the ultimaker.

Yes, running stepper motor wires next to sensor wires can lead to problems. But a decent filtering on the control board should not lead to actual problems. A simple RC filter is enough, certainly for an end stop signal.

Siert, are you reading this :)