Hello Ultimaker Forum,

polyploid

Posted · Hello Ultimaker Forum,

I'm fairly new to 3D printing. Trying to print a gel or paste. Is it possible to use Cura to control Layer height (mm) independent of Filament Diameter, Flow (%), Nozzle size (mm), etc. ?

Many thanks

polyploid

Hello ultiarjan,

Thanks for getting back.

How? Trying to print layers >1mm; when I enter Layer height values greater than .25 mm the print aborts. Maybe I am missing something?

Regards,

polyploid

Can you share a bit more of your setup? and the settings you use? and the cura version?

Hi ultiarjan,

Sorry if this is a repeat- I'm not sure if the a note from yesterday posted.

Here is a link to a vid. I'm extruding a gel through a 10cc syringe. I would like to increase the layer height. Using Cura 15.04.

vid:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fQfi6IbN0ZMUh6bUwyTm9hQVU/view?usp=sharing

extruder:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fQfi6IbN0ZazMzLVJ5MGl5bGM/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

polyploid

Is it possible that you use no temperature? If so, you need to add a M302 command to allow for cold extrusion.

Hi peggyb,

Thanks for the tip. I don't know how to use the M302 command. I did find that I could only get the printer to work when the hot end was at operating temperature. So... I am still running wire from the hot end's thermistor, fan, and J-head to the printer controller. The PLA filament (1.75 mm) that was originally fed into the J-head is now driving the piston of a 10 cc syringe (= extruder).

Is the M302 command an instruction entered in firmware?

Thanks

looks like you are using a delta printer, I am using a Ultimaker Original so maybe some things work different......

these where settings I used for choco paste and played with them until the extrusion was right. To acces the sart and end code you will have to use cure in Reprap style, which you probably already have??

settings-choco.thumb.png.549f26a8e86cf1fdf86f9fef23ddd599.png

5a331aef2fc18_startgcode.thumb.png.546fa9ff1572adf136201e2b0bad5c51.png

5a331aef622aa_2014-08-2115_28_33.thumb.jpg.d32ee5031a9a6bb9f275f51261240d99.jpg

That is SO cool! Going to try your settings and will get back.

Yes, I am using a delta. What kind of extruder are you using?

Many MANY thanks,

polyploid

Hello ultiarjan,

Thanks for getting back.

How?  Trying to print layers >1mm; when I enter Layer height values greater than .25 mm the print aborts.  Maybe I am missing something?

Regards,

polyploid

I don't think this is a Cura thing, just tried 2mm layers, the gcode seems to be just fine (also checked in S3D) could it be some kind of limit in the firmware of your printer?

2mmLayers.thumb.jpg.78f42b4ad6087526f45871dd38b0518c.jpg

2mmLayers.thumb.jpg.78f42b4ad6087526f45871dd38b0518c.jpg

Posted (edited) · Hello Ultimaker Forum,

the 'extruder' is a syringe attached with a wire to the extruder motor. the turning of the motor makes the syringe 'push'. I don't think these settings are right for you. but it shows that changing paramaters can make it work.

5a331b02ba9fe_2014-08-2115_29_20.thumb.jpg.fc56dbeabe3af21f57b91b7cfee59838.jpg

5a331b026b214_2014-08-2115_29_10.thumb.jpg.e6cf043e20f8921c99286de7647313c8.jpg

5a331b02ba9fe_2014-08-2115_29_20.thumb.jpg.fc56dbeabe3af21f57b91b7cfee59838.jpg

5a331b026b214_2014-08-2115_29_10.thumb.jpg.e6cf043e20f8921c99286de7647313c8.jpg

Edited by Guest