Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
3dprintingnovice

Help with complicated print

Hello friends,

I am new at 3D printing. I have printed out some simple things but now I want to try something more complicated. I am using Cura to attempt to print this model. Everything looks good in the Layers view. I am using support everywhere, but I have a problem with the feet coming unattached and falling over even with the supports. I have been using the default settings for "normal" quality print on Cura, except I changed the "Brim line amount" value from 20 to 30 and changed the "Overhang angle for support (deg)" from 60 to 45. Can anyone help me to create a gcode file from this .stl that will print correctly on an Ultimaker 2?

WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK, some nudity. The link below is to the .stl file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sovhug7toa95fz/frog-join-Ela_1.stl?dl=0

Untitled.thumb.png.bc89aa1490ff2428e898f3b4897e4c20.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn

Untitled.thumb.png.bc89aa1490ff2428e898f3b4897e4c20.png

Glen I am not familiar with the Cura "simple" settings but I bet the print speed will be too fast for that model. I would suggest you use "high" quality setting or whatever it is called. If you are printing thin stuff, especially if it is leaning, then the answer is slow and cool. So you need to address print speed, extruder temp and fans. In fact if you select "high" quality I would then go into the Cura menus, basic and advanced and set...

print speed to 20mm/s or 30mm/s, no faster

layer height to say .15mm

extruder temp. 195 (I assume you are using PLA)

And under Cool on the expert settings I would go for it and set

fan full on height 0.6

fan speed min 40

fan speed max 100

min speed 10

cool head lift tick

That is quite aggressive I think, if you have a problem try the fan full on height at 0.75 or 0.9

Now all of the above is general stuff for that model, it is not directly addressing your question the feet falling off. That confuses me, are the feet not sitting on the print bed?

Yup the ankles and shins look thin so I suspect you ended up with filament raised up on the edge, either because it is difficult or through the movement to that spot or retraction and movement away; once you get a bit sticking up it tends to grow. If need be you can manage it with screwdriver with a small thin edge and just push the raised bit down flat after each pass and then it may well clear itself.

It would be useful when you respond to note down what settings you used and also what your retraction settings are - located under Expert settings