Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
3design

How to prepare to build an Ultimaker

Hi

In two weeks I am going to build an Ultimaker, during a course in the FabLab Lucerne.

If you were in my position - being quite a beginner with anything concerning 3D printing: How would you prepare for such a course? Which subjets, issues such as processes, software, methods are of prime importance to have at least a notion of?

Which sites, forums, blogs etc. do you recommend me? Maybe you know somebody who build one himself and described his experience?

Hi

In two weeks I am going to build an Ultimaker, during a course in the FabLab Lucerne.

If you were in my position - being quite a beginner with anything concerning 3D printing: How would you prepare for such a course? Which subjets, issues such as processes, software, methods are of prime importance to have at least a notion of?

Which sites, forums, blogs etc. do you recommend me? Maybe you know somebody who build one himself and described his experience?

are you holding the course, or is a experience UM user holding the course and you are participating?

reading and re-reading the assembly wiki helps a lot, the rest depends on your answer above.

I agree with Joergen. Reading the wiki and the assembly instructions over before you start building is a great idea. I just finished building mine and it wasn't so bad. Reading ahead would have taken a lot of stress off for sure. Just seeing how it should and will turn out before actually doing it will make things easier.

Also get a lot of work space. I can't count the amount of times I knocked stuff off or lost things because I was working on a tiny desk.