Heater Stopped - Heater Error

Posted · Heater Stopped - Heater Error

Good Morning,

I have an UM2 and two months ago had the Ollson Block installed by Rapid3D everything has been great, prints have been coming out fantastic but 3 weeks ago while printing I got a Heater Stopped - Heater error. I turned off, let the machine cool and tried again. No problem, however this morning when I started printing only on the first later. (So the fans have not yet turned on) The Heater Stopped - Heater Error message came on again. So I switched off and allowed the machine to cool again. Reset everything for a second attempt, again in exactly the same place as before, first layer, as it finishes the shell line and starts the infill. The Heater Stopped - Heater Error message came up. I am concerned as I do not want to damage the machine. Is there a solution. Please assist me with this before I pack the machine up to take it in to be fixed. Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

Vincent

Posted · Heater Stopped - Heater Error

This is very common after installing the olsson block and usually happens when the fans come on which is typically the second or third layer. The problem is that the olsson block is touching the fan shroud somewhere. I would start heating the nozzle to 150C (in case there is plastic in the threads) and then remove the front left thumb screw so you can get good access to the round nut that positions the olsson block height. Also remove the 4 screws that hold the fan shroud and let that hang down by the wires.

Now make sure the nozzle is above 140C and rotate that round nut using something metal, long and skinny. Like a very small screw driver. Rotate it both ways a bit to make sure it isn't at the end of travel and then rotate it such that the olsson block moves up as high as it can go or possibly 1/2 turn less. This whole thing was designed for when you have dual nozzles and you need to get them the exact same height within .01mm. Since dual printing never worked you want the nozzle as high as it can go so the olsson block doesn't touch the fan shroud.

Consider possibly putting a thin strip of kapton tape on the bottom of the olsson block to give it a little bit of insulation between it and the fan shroud.

when you put the fan shroud on push down on it while tightening the 4 screws that hold it on. Even getting another .1mm might be enough to get rid of your "heater error".

Test it by heating to printing temps (say 220C) with fans on 100%. It takes 30 seconds without the nozzle heating up to get the error.

Alternatively get a more powerful nozzle heater - UM2 used to come with 25W heater but some of them are as low as 18W due to manufacturing variability. Get a 35W from 3dsolex or Ultimaker.

• Like 1