Just installed the new kit into my UM2 ext to make it a UM2+ ext. Problem with material feed.

Posted · Just installed the new kit into my UM2 ext to make it a UM2+ ext. Problem with material feed.

I installed the kit per the instructions (video). Documentation really needs some basic info. i.e. shaft/limit switch alignment. PCB J#'s and wires they connect to. Basic stuff without watching the video to try to catch it in pictures.

I had and found a few problems when doing it.

1. The old feed motor actually had the wires to the adjacent motor pinch and flattened behind the motor. Maybe why I had feeder problems with the UM2ext?

2. The PCB had 3 of the 4 metal studs not actually in the PCB but just floating loose. I guess I will have to get some very short M10 screws to hold the board on the system.

3. When I installed the new feed motor it runs the material in the wrong direction. The connector E1 will only go on one way and the connector and wires match the old feeder motor.

Firmware was flashed to the latest using Cura.

This is very frustrating to see these things for such an expensive machine let alone the upgrade have such issues.

So, how do I get the motor to run in the correct direction? Can't even test to see if anything else has an issue.

Posted · Just installed the new kit into my UM2 ext to make it a UM2+ ext. Problem with material feed.

When you updated the firmware from Cura you must have selected UM2 instead of UM2+. They go opposite directions so you have to select the right one.

Even better I recommend the um2+ fimrware from here:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

• Like 1

I did this same thing last night. Installed my upgrade, updated firmware and motor was running backwards. Turns out that in cura i still had the UM2 selected not the UM2+. I just deleted the UM2 since I didn't need it and left the UM2+ and updated the firmware again and everything worked. In Cura I believe it's under the "Machine" menu at the top, i don't recall off the top of my head.