Special filaments / 2 of 5 options

fergazz

Posted (edited) · Special filaments / 2 of 5 options

Hi fellows,

I will order soon some filaments for my small 3d printing business. I have the distinction of offering premium materials not found for sale in my country: nylon bridge, bronzefill, XT ... apart from ColorFabb PLA and PLA Ultimaker.

Since I cannot bring a lot because of volume I need to set between 2 of these 5 beauties, what do they recommend?

I have a preference for easy to print materials and aggregate value. PS. also I will buy an Olsson Block kit

I need to order just 2 of those:

- ColorFabb Brassfill; (how it is comparing to bronzefill?)

- Taulman Alloy 910; (vs. nylon bridge? stronger but as "easy to print" as bridge?)

- ColorFabb HT Dark Gray (+nozzle); (this or Carbon Fiber PLA from Photopasta? Do I need the harder nozzle for this Photopasta filament?)

- NinjaFlex Semi; (Flex or semi-flex? Seems that semi is easier...)

- Photopasta Coffee HT (smells goood and HT! hummm...)

XT and nGen are guaranteed because they are easy to print and has lower price.

ok, I admit I'm a fan of ColorFabb :)

Some other filament that is not on the list but should?

Any help will be welcome :)

Cheers community!

PS. Sorry guys, tried to post it on "filaments/other brands" but got a 500 error more than 10 times.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Special filaments / 2 of 5 options

I'm a fan of Colorfabb also, but specially there PLA's ..

Easy is relative... yes the nGen is nice, I like it for small statues and stuff, but for bigger practical parts it's not so easy as it shrinks a lot more than PLA (I think more like ABS) so for bigger parts that can be an issue (if I have to deal with it anyhow I just use ABS)

Also XT, I just stopped using it, had to much issues with layer bonding and the parts getting brittle. If I need a part to withstand a higher temperature I just use ABS.

Speaking of higher temperature, the more interesting material is Biofilla PLA-tec (http://www.two-bears.eu/)

• Like 1

Taulman says that alloy 910 is their nylon which is easiest to print, together with their fda certified. I wanted to try it for quite some time but there are other things on my list i want to do first, so no experience from me yet.

I too don't have any use for XT. Still have 2 sealed rolls here. for high temp stuff i use biofila PlaTec, maybe their silk and linen might be interesting too?

cool tips!

So, I will forgot nGen and got PLA/PHA for now...

and I will include those biofila PlaTec for high temperature.

I have excellent results with XT Orange Dutch, I love them! I found the right temperature and speed for it... they looks fantastic for my eyes hehehe. I´m thinking to buy Aloy 910 forward, when my nylon bridge finish, I will focused in variety by now. I don't like ABS, I'm afraid with them because of warp but I would like to try especially the acetone bath tricky.

For now, I just want to decide beetwin 2 of those 3 guys:

- ColorFabb Brassfill;

- ColorFabb HT Dark Gray (+nozzle);

- NinjaFlex Semi; (Flex or semi-flex?)

Is NinjaFlex filament complicated for bowden tube printers? I just read it in a review...

Tomorrow will be the day of the purchase, any help will be welcome! :)

Thank you guys! Cheers!!

Posted (edited) · Special filaments / 2 of 5 options

Where to buy bioFila PlaTec in USA?

Looks like a German filament... I'm trying to find a representative or e-shop.

Seems that PrintedSolid, Matterhackers, 3Duniverse, Cubicity and Imakr don't have it :(

Edited by Guest
    include Cubicity on list

Never tried brassfill on the UM2 as i think it's an experimental material which kind of sticks to teflon if i remember well.

ColorFabb HT is not carbon filled, if you want carbon filled it's the XT-CF20 (and indeed you need a stainless steel nozzle for that). ColorFabb HT clear looks interesting as you can print transparent things with it.

SemiFlex is ok for the UM2, ninja flex can be printed but it's really not easy at all.

• Like 1

Looks like a German filament... I'm trying to find a representative or e-shop.

Seems that PrintedSolid, Matterhackers, 3Duniverse, Cubicity and Imakr don't have it :(

I think Extrudr Green-Tec is the same stuff relabeled. Maybe you can find that instead in the USA?

• Like 1

yeah, I wrote HT instead of XT-CF... my mistake

I still in doubt about 3 of those 2:

- Magnetic Iron PLA / Photopasta;

- XT-CF20 / Colorfabb (+ stainless steel nozzle);

- Stainless Steel PLA / Photopasta.

Brassfill looks to soft. I confess I'm a little scared with the "easy of use" of semiflex so I quit :D

For prevention I will also buy an i2k isulator and the TFC 255... (sended e-mail for gr5 a few minutes ago)

Tomorrow is by deadline to purchase, damn!! I would like a week to search!!

I think Extrudr Green-Tec is the same stuff relabeled. Maybe you can find that instead in the USA?

unsuccessful search :(

I made contact with Biofila by e-mail and they were very likeable:

"Cubicity and Matterhackers sell bioFila silk and bioFila linen in the US, but not bioFila plaTec.

They didn’t even try plaTec L.

bioFila plaTec is one of the best materials on the market.

Easy to print like very good PLA, but with exceptional stability and heat resistance (up to 120”C). It shows performances better than any ABS, much easier to print AND it is biodegrable like the same part made out of wood.

That means it takes not 1000 years for the degradation, it takes 10 to 15 years (if dropped out in nature)."

I would like to have some... not by now unfortunately.

I like bridge nylon, it is very practical and strong, however for thin parts it becomes too flexible. And looks boring.

If you want something transparent also Bluprint is great and have the high temp like platec.

HT is cool except it lacks the colors like other colorfabb filaments. Most people seem to like their prototypes either white or black.