Jagged and Uneven Prints

Posted · Jagged and Uneven Prints

I have the ultimaker 2 extended and I'm having some issues with my print, it is coming out quite jagged and not very fine. This is a recent issue as the last print i did printed fine. Also noticed some clicking noises coming from my extruder. I have tried re leveling the print bed and also clearing out the nozzle via the atomic method. Any ideas of how to fix this issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_5757.thumb.JPG.4d6dfec95ff9206e09defcd732d58c56.JPG

IMG_5755.thumb.JPG.d2f4b4263bbfd30d5816c86a516237f8.JPG

IMG_5756.thumb.JPG.af4aa2706aaf1388e156ce30e117fc29.JPG

IMG_5757.thumb.JPG.4d6dfec95ff9206e09defcd732d58c56.JPG

IMG_5755.thumb.JPG.d2f4b4263bbfd30d5816c86a516237f8.JPG

IMG_5756.thumb.JPG.af4aa2706aaf1388e156ce30e117fc29.JPG

Looks like under extruderion.

Is your print temp high enough?

When you heat up the hotend and move the filament does it come out nice and smooth or is there little dots in it?

How many print hours have you put on the printer since the last time you replace the PTFE coupler? It will deform over time due to friction and heat, and need to be replaced. The average lifespan of the coupler is about 500 print hours with PLA, fewer hours with high temp/abrasive materials.

Also, have you check your bowden tube for signs of damage? The printhead end should be cut flat. The feeder end should be widened out at 45 degrees. If the feeder end looks chewed up, you can try trimming a couple millimeters off and widening it out again. I have a photo here of a good feeder end and a bad feeder end for the bowden tube:

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.e31f943f309ea098d59a2194df2f8136.JPG

Also, if you remove both ends of the bowden tube from the printer (slide out the blue clip and press down on the white collet while you pull up on the bowden tube), try running a fresh piece of filament through the tube by hand. If you hit a point where it snags, there may be damage inside the tube.

If you have any ground up debris inside the tube or your feeder, you'll want to clean that out, because it could impede the progress of your filament. You can clean debris out of the tube by putting a little wad of paper towel in the tube and pushing it through with a piece of filament by hand. To clean the feeder, I'd remove the bowden tube and spray the feeder with canned air.

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.e31f943f309ea098d59a2194df2f8136.JPG