Unresponsive and useless 3d print upload

tommyph1208

Posted (edited) · Unresponsive and useless 3d print upload

Am I the only one who finds the "Upload 3d print" form rather useless?

I waited ages to upload ~25mb. worth of pictures of a recent print... Eventually I gave up (had in the meantime managed to upload the exact same print as a make on thingiverse, it took a fraction of the time I waited)

On top of that, the form you can fill out with details is kind of stupid and limited in its choices...

Print speed: Everyone knows there is no such thing as ONE print speed, what about the possiblility to mirror your cura settings?

Color: You can choose just one? How boring and lame

Printer: God forbid you have used some modified product... better stick with the stock defaults...

I could go on...

Edited by Guest

Posted · Unresponsive and useless 3d print upload

Hi Tommyph1208,

Thank you for your feedback.

It looks like you have been able to upload your 3D print after all.

Do you have the time and date on when you tried to upload your file?

Perhaps I can use that data to find a glitch in our log to explain the difficulties you were experiencing.

I would welcome feedback and suggestions on how we can improve the form.

How do you mean not one speed? Of course there is acceleration, and a bottom layer speed but there is 1 speed you set in Cura. Right?

What do you think a clear and easy way would be to add modifications? The reason why we did not want to create an open field is because you can not use it as a filter anymore.

For example, what kind of modifications have you made?

Hi Tommyph1208,

Thank you for your feedback.

It looks like you have been able to upload your 3D print after all.

Do you have the time and date on when you tried to upload your file?

Perhaps I can use that data to find a glitch in our log to explain the difficulties you were experiencing.

I would welcome feedback and suggestions on how we can improve the form.

How do you mean not one speed? Of course there is acceleration, and a bottom layer speed but there is 1 speed you set in Cura. Right?

What do you think a clear and easy way would be to add modifications? The reason why we did not want to create an open field is because you can not use it as a filter anymore.

For example, what kind of modifications have you made?

Hi Sander

The initial post ended up being really sour in tone due to the bad experience with uploading pictures I had just before posting, so apologies for that... I have since managed to upload my print from work.

My initial attempt was yesterday (6/6) some time in the evening, not exactly sure but some time past 20:00 CEST.

With regards to the extra details I'm requesting, Im thinking maybe some optinal parameters could be added to the form, this way you can still use searches and filters, but the intrigued user has access to additional info, and can learn more about possible expansions for the UM printers and eg. "How the hell he managed to print that overhang without support?"

Using as an example, the printspeed: I have used varying speeds for top/bottom layers, inner and outer walls as well as infill... This might be too much initial info but maybe it could be added in some form of optional foldout. This way, the form only requires you to enter some main speed (this would be the Cura value you mention), but with the option to add more details in optional subfields. Similarly when someone goes to view the print, the extra info can be intially hidden in the foldout.

Alternatively allowing eg. a range (eg. 75-100 mm/s) might also do...

For other details like eg. the material and color, simply allowing for multiple selections would suffice.

As far as the printer goes, I understand that you want to be able to separate eg. UMOs from UM2s, 2s from 2+s etc. It makes sense from a buisness perspective, and I respect that.

Im thinking a similar approach as with eg. the printspeed could work here as well. So you select the printer model that formed the base of your printer and then allow for optional additional mod fields.

These would be less well-defined than eg. the print speed values, and so maybe would need to be in a free text form.

Mine would eg. end up being somthing like:

Printer: Ultimaker Original

Mods: Rumba electronics, SilentStepStick drivers, E3Dv6 hotend, |Robert|s direct drive UM2 feeder, Crossflow cooling, closed buildchamber, Aluminum heatbed and glass...

Edited by Guest

I actually love the simplicity of the ultimaker ethos and its why i continue to use it and cura, even rather than simplify 3d. Yes manual supports would be great, but aside from that, for simple printing purposes, all of what you ask simply clutters and confuses.

I have no mods and i print everything at the same temp same filament (with diff colour) and same speed regardless. Imho modding merely degrades the quality of your print as you slowly venture out into the unknown (unless you waste a serious amount of time testing). Its basically a waste of time for novices. By all means tinker away hoping you will get superior results compared to others as again that is the beauty of ums, but asking for all that personal modding info will cause people to become seriously confused and think they NEED to mod their printers to acheive superior results. The truth is (again imho), they dont.

I actually love the simplicity of the ultimaker ethos and its why i continue to use it and cura, even rather than simplify 3d. Yes manual supports would be great, but aside from that, for simple printing purposes, all of what you ask simply clutters and confuses.

I have no mods and i print everything at the same temp same filament (with diff colour) and same speed regardless. Imho modding merely degrades the quality of your print as you slowly venture out into the unknown (unless you waste a serious amount of time testing). Its basically a waste of time for novices. By all means tinker away hoping you will get superior results compared to others as again that is the beauty of ums, but asking for all that personal modding info will cause people to become seriously confused and think they NEED to mod their printers to acheive superior results. The truth is (again imho), they dont.

I don't know why you start to mix Cura and Simplify3d into this... I love Cura, have never used anything else and it does exactly what I'm missing a reflection of in the upload firm... Namely provide a basic tap with some main settings, and the hide extra more advanced details in other tabs for the more advanced user.

You, not wanting to mod your UM, is totally fair... As you say, it takes a lot of time and needs a lot of testing.

Saying that it can't improve your printers capabilities and quality I don't agree with though... especially for the UMO, a lot of community driven modding has helped it keep up to date and on par with many more modern printers.

And modding, after all, is and has always been, a big part of the UM community...

Edited by Guest

i think ( from what i've) read, is that the umo/umo kit is for the tweakers and modders and people who want to spend less on the base kit that can produce results as good as the um2 or um2+ but with tweaking. maybe an extra fan or better components.

The um2 or um2+ produce ( in my experience) perfect results with no modding. ( overhangs are debatable).

seeing as the umo has been around for a while, im assuming the people who have used it most have gottn the best out of it regarding mods, and have documented this well.

i think what you want is a mod section. where you put in your personal mods. but the majority of people want a 'plug and play printer' and surely this just makes things confusing if everyone is using different mods. if anything Ultimaker should say whats best and leave it at that. if you want to learn about mods, thats what this forum is for after all?

besides, you can write all about your mods in the box as you post your print, why more boxes?