What is the best orientation of a part for printing

DM_Tim

Posted · What is the best orientation of a part for printing

I am working on designing a model of something I've wanted to build for years, an Aphid Gunship (a steampunk air ship). I'm trying to lay out the design of the cabin which I will attach to the deck but was wondering what the proper orientation on the printer for the cabin should be. Would it be easier to print it upside down as it would then be like a bowl with the bottom and sides or would it work right side up? I think the right side up orientation would be problematic as printing a plane over a large open space seems to fail frequently. What do you more experienced folks think?

Regards,

Tim

Hi and welcome,

I would print it upside down, the other way it would need some supports that will take much longer to print.

But as it's the inside the marks that supports leave may be ok so it's really a matter of printing time and wasted material.

The angle of the front looks quite steep, it' might need some support too

I would probably print it right side up with support touching buildplate and a fairly high top/bottom thickness... Its a very good use for it as the ugly surface that the support will inevitably cause, will be hidden inside the cabin, and you avoid the heavy overhang on the outside of the cabin.

I'd also print it right side up, but if it were my model I'd add my own internal supports in the CAD, not in Cura. That way you can control where they are to a degree and make them less visible from the doorway. Or you can make them look like internal structure that's part of the design of the ship.