32-bit Windows Cura 2.1.2 Crashes

Stringman

Posted · 32-bit Windows Cura 2.1.2 Crashes

Cura 2.1.2 for Windows 32-bit crashes for me. On my old Windows 7/32 laptop (not a lot of memory, old/slow) it doesn't even make it to any of the initial screens before I get a crash. Not suprised, so I put it on a newer desktop system that has plenty of oomph and memory (routinely handles some intense multiple applications and monitors), and I get the initial splash screen and dialog asking which Ultimaker I have, but then it crashes, and if I ask Windows for the crash details, it shows me this:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Cura.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 54467a51

Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.11318

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ebb3dc2

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0068f40b

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I'll go see if any of my virtual Windows machines are 64-bit and see if I the problem is confined to the 32-bit version.

Looks like your ATI/AMD/Radeon video driver is crashing. Have you tried updating the video drivers?

That's possible, I see in the cura log that things go south right after this point:

2016-06-15 08:40:01,127 - DEBUG - OpenGL Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

2016-06-15 08:40:09,153 - WARNING - No active machine found when trying to save setting visibility

But I also note that the 32bit build crashed on a notebook computer as well, and that the desktop system has no issues running graphics-intensive apps like scanners, Altium circuit design software, webcam streamers, etc. often all at the same time. I'll go take a look and see if I've got the best possible drivers.

Looks like your ATI/AMD/Radeon video driver is crashing. Have you tried updating the video drivers?

That's possible, I see in the cura log that things go south right after this point:

2016-06-15 08:40:01,127 - DEBUG - OpenGL Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

2016-06-15 08:40:09,153 - WARNING - No active machine found when trying to save setting visibility

But I also note that the 32bit build crashed on a notebook computer as well, and that the desktop system has no issues running graphics-intensive apps like scanners, Altium circuit design software, webcam streamers, etc. often all at the same time.  I'll go take a look and see if I've got the best possible drivers.

Oh, and I also installed it in a Windows virtual machine, and got the same failure. Installed the 64 bit version in a 64 bit virtual Windows machine, and it ran OK. Three out of three failures on very different hardware (fast desktop, virtual machine, slow older notebook) seems odd - is there a minimum graphics capability that none of these machines achieves? Although, why would the 64 bit version work in a VM, then?

Virtual machines and openGL are always a bit difficult. The warning that you get has nothing to do with your issue.

I still think that the drivers are the most likely culprit in this case.

OK, as per suggestions, although the desktop in question appeared to have latest/best drivers, I let AMD's utilities weigh in on that and installed all the drivers and extra widgets their system scanner suggested. That seems to have fixed it on the desktop computer. Probably can't expect to have it run in a 32-bit VM apparently - but the 64 bit version runs OK in a Win 10 VM.

Now I just need to figure out what's up with the OS X version (runs, except when it doesn't. That's over in a different thread.)