Noisy Z (Platform going down)

thelostbrain

Posted · Noisy Z (Platform going down)

Hi all! Finally got around to building my Ultimaker (finished her up over this past weekend).

Got everything calibrated pretty well and did a good first test print of the standard cube and thin wall cube.

Only issue I have so far is that the z is very noisy when traveling down (at any speed).

It's fine on the way back up.

It's almost as if it's vibrating / resonating...and it only does it about half way down the full length of travel and then is fine beyond that until it reaches the base of the machine.

Also, if I put some pressure on the platform as it travels down this also helps to alleviate the noise.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Just to make sure, you did put grease on the lead screw right ?

Yepper... but maybe I missed the top half somehow? I'll double-check any apply a bit more and see.

That would be a nice simple fix if it turns out to just be that.

Thanks.

Well, the problem's fixed!

Only wish I could say what fixed it - when I came back the next day the z was simply no longer noisy.

Well, applied more grease the full length of the leadscrew for good measure, hopefully will stay good movIng forward.

Thanks for the help.

Well, the problem's fixed!

Only wish I could say what fixed it - when I came back the next day the z was simply no longer noisy.

Well, applied more grease the full length of the leadscrew for good measure, hopefully will stay good movIng forward.

Thanks for the help.

I used my mental powers to achieve an invisible link with your ultimaker...

Just joking :)

Happy that it is fixed with a bit of good ol' grease :D