First layer above support is like infill! (Problems)

Directorstark

Posted · First layer above support is like infill! (Problems)

For some reason my parts that have support have been getting bad layers on top of the support even when I have support at 30%. the lines come out correct... but they are coming out in the same quantity and quality as the infill.

I have 3D printed for a while with other printer and their software and have never had this problem. At this point I have tried things like speeding it up to decreasing layer height..It only seems to improve on the shape of lines not the quantity needed for a proper shell.

any ideas?IMG_20160721_191608240.thumb.jpg.11c05b224b79b80a1950024b6d97c2c4.jpg

IMG_20160721_191608240.thumb.jpg.11c05b224b79b80a1950024b6d97c2c4.jpg

I assume these are views from the bottom.

Well you are doing all that support just for that little pin. I would remove the pin and put in a hole and insert the pin after printing (assemble the pin later).

But that doesn't answer your question. Well I don't use cura support much so I'm not sure. Maybe the "Z distance" is too far and so there is too big a gap? Or maybe you just need a more dense support? Personally if I had to print a cylinder in the air I would just design my own support - a hollow cylinder that touches the supporting solid cylinder around the outer edge plus a second cylinder under the hole/opening. I would add occasional gaps/perforation just 2 layers thick to make the support break off more easily.

If you are using cura 15.4.x (and it looks like you are from the supports) try getting the new Cura 2.1.x There is a boatload more options for supports and the autogeneration is MUCH better. Anything with supports I now slice with 2.1 and anything without 15.4 (because the layer view is still faster).

In Cura 2.1, you are able to make support "top skin" which will reduce the density of supports you'll need by placing a thicker layer on top of your infill before the object.

Another useful difference is you can choose the method of support generation, From Zigzag lines to conical supports. Give 2.1 a go and see if it solves your issues!