Making an RC Airplane that can fly with 50 kg

Kevparang

Posted (edited) · Making an RC Airplane that can fly with 50 kg

Hello,

I am designing an Rc Airplane that will need to have a weight of 50 kgs on top and it needs to be durable. It is for an contest with my friends $100 for the winner. I can only print as big as 9*8*8 on my RoBo 3D. I would like to see if you guys have filaments that are easy to smooth down to get layers not showing. Also, if you have experience with electronic and batteries. Engineers and Areospace People please help.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Making an RC Airplane that can fly with 50 kg

That sounds like a challenge! Do you already have some kind of plan or strategy?

What do you mean by filaments that are easy to smooth layers, and get them showing? (smoothing and get layers showing sound like two opposites to me). For smoothing and strength you could consider ABS and use acetone to make it smooth. Or use a different material and just sand it down.

That sounds like a challenge! Do you already have some kind of plan or strategy?

What do you mean by filaments that are easy to smooth layers, and get them showing? (smoothing and get layers showing sound like two opposites to me). For smoothing and strength you could consider ABS and use acetone to make it smooth. Or use a different material and just sand it down.

I know, it is supposed to be, since it is the summer my friend challenged me. I meant smoothing them down. 50 kg is about 110 pounds. I would need to smooth because in need lift on the wings and less drag.

R/C aircraft with 50 kgs useful payload? I wouldn't bother to even itch about it if the reward is a measly 100$.

Have you flown an UAV/RC/Model plane before? Any background from aerospace design at all?

Yes, I have fought planes inverted and with flaps and 6 channels. I said I will lower it to 20 Pounds.

Posted (edited) · Making an RC Airplane that can fly with 50 kg

Just give him the $100 as cut your losses.  Even to lift a 20LBS weight the aircraft will have to be so big you don't want to be looking at 3D printers.  Look at traditional materials.

Also I have just finished a model of a Fokker D.VII.  its 1/3 scale weight about 50LBS and cost me a good $9,000 to build.  It would not handle a 10LBS payload.

I don't know where you are in the world but there are also regulations on aircraft over about 20Kg, so you had better join a club to make sure you comply with your local air authorities.  Builds have to be supervised at various stages just like full size aircraft.  Introducing 3D printing as a structural component would not be a good idea.  I have only used it for scale detail and nothing structural!

As I said at the top.  Give the man your $100 and walk away. No better still . . . RUN!

Edited by Guest