HELP, Fillament stuck in the bowden tube :(

Posted · HELP, Fillament stuck in the bowden tube :(

Hi, I'm new in the 3d printing area.

I was trying to change the material and the filament got stuck in the Bowden tube,

I took off the tube, and the filament is not long enough to be pulled from the the ends :(

I've been pushing it with another piece of filament but it seems that is not moving at all.

I think is because the filament is cracked in several pieces inside the tube.

Any ideas?

Thankyou x

First completely remove the tube. Detatch it from the black plastic weave. Bring it to your kitchen along with a spool of filament. Straighten it out and try pushing one more time with fresh filament. If it still wont' come out it's time to add heat.

You have a few choices - best is to find a large flat pan and pour boiling water into it. Wear thin gloves (if the water is too hot through thin gloves then you can let it cool a bit). Ideally you want around 70C to 80C. Let the bowden sit in the water for 1 full minute to get the heat all the way to the filament. take some *cold* filament and start pushing the hot filament out. Don't get too hot - 100C is too hot for PLA it will melt too much.

Another choice is to use a hair dryer but it's easy to go too hot with a hair dryer.

Also measure the diameter of your filament. It should be less than or equal to 2.9mm. If it is 3.0mm filament - throw it all away - 3.0mm is too big for bowden printing and you will be doing this kitchen sink thing with every other print.

If heat does not work, replace it.

That's an option also. I sell bowden's to Mexico. My store is here:

thegr5store.com

My bowden's are not UM stock. They have slightly larger inner diameter so you are less likely to have this problem in the first place. But really - it's not too hard to fix this using simply hot water and some existing filament. I've done this myself before. I had a friend help - having 4 hands instead of 2 makes it a little easier. We did not use gloves - just bare hands.

If heat does not work, replace it.

That's an option also.  I sell bowden's to Mexico.  My store is here:

thegr5store.com

My bowden's are not UM stock.  They have slightly larger inner diameter so you are less likely to have this problem in the first place.  But really - it's not too hard to fix this using simply hot water and some existing filament.  I've done this myself before.  I had a friend help - having 4 hands instead of 2 makes it a little easier.  We did not use gloves - just bare hands.

The heat worked!!

thank you very much, and i think I'll buy larger inner diameter pipe too.

:)

Good luck with your ultimaker.