Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
chrisw

Any way to make the Hot End Isolator be rigid/fixed inside its hole?

(On my two UM2 machines)

It seems there's a tiny bit of wiggle room between the printing head's lower aluminum plate and the Hot End Isolator.      It's a very tiny bit of wiggle, but I'm curious  whether making that joint rigid would improve printing accuracy at all.  

Has anyone experimented with this, or does anyone have a trick for eliminating that wiggle?  

Last year I had an Isolator that wouldn't fit all the way down inside its hole (it wouldn't seat against the aluminum plate) because it was too fat near the top of its thin cylinder.  That wasn't good for fitting of the spring replacement, but it sure made the block and nozzle rigid.   I replaced that isolator with one that would seat properly.

I'm just not sure if the feel of rigidity would actually translate to better prints

Edited by Guest

The Ultimaker Hot End Isolator was had a small fat section at the top which would be tight in the Aluminium Plate and the bottom bit would be loose.

3D solex have a Hot End Isolator V2 which is fat all the way down. this should stop any wiggle.

You could also print a Spring replacement part and that should hold it flat.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

If you use the spring on that um2, you could increase the pressure on the steel coupler by leaving 1mm of distance between the ptfe/steel, by rotating the steel coupler counterclockwise. That should generate enough pressure to keep all without wiggle (don't leave more than that or the pressure will short the ptfe life span). Also, there's fixed spring replacements. They recommend to print it on xt/hightemp, but I use one printed on pla that so far it's alive and kicking for almost 3months without signs of deformation.

Edited by Guest