Ultimaker original with 0.2mm nozzle white teflon connector is clogging ?

Ca3PO4

Posted · Ultimaker original with 0.2mm nozzle white teflon connector is clogging ?

Hi , I installed a 0.2mm nozzle on my ultimaker original and am printing with PET 2.85mm filament at 210c, print speed 20mm/sec , layer height 0.05mm, retraction at 60mm/sec distance 9mm . flow rate 100%. Starts print off nicely and then it clogs the with teflon tube and the filament wont pass that no more. I have specified a 0.2mm nozzle in my settings in Cura already

Any suggestion as to what to change in my settings to prevent the clogging ? what is causing this problem . is it too much flow rate , too much retraction possibly?

Thanks. cura.thumb.jpg.7147dad77d24540030ebbfb6b9c3c5ba.jpg

cura.thumb.jpg.7147dad77d24540030ebbfb6b9c3c5ba.jpg

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker original with 0.2mm nozzle white teflon connector is clogging ?

9mm retraction will make clogs even with pla. You are moving hot filament to a cold area, that clogs ofc. Retractions of 4.5 should just work, maybe 5.5m

Also PET temperature it's just 210? I thought pet needs much more? I never printed pet

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker original with 0.2mm nozzle white teflon connector is clogging ?

9mm retraction will make clogs even with pla. You are moving hot filament to a cold area, that clogs ofc. Retractions of 4.5 should just work, maybe 5.5m

Also PET temperature it's just 210? I thought pet needs much more? I never printed pet

Hi thanks for the reply ya its the Innofill brand PET on the spool it says 190 - 210C print temp. PET is low temp . I will try to lower the retractions I am also thinking maybe the flow rate needs a reduction since the smaller 0.2mm nozzle but im not sure. I do know that that the clogging is happending at the white coupling maybe halfway through the print job . Starts off nicely tho.

Probably since its 2.85filament through a 0.2 nozzle, it needs slower speeds not just flow. The pressure on the nozzle must be quite high.

You might also want to measure the PET with a caliper to make sure it is in the range of 2.8-2.9. If is not that might be why you are having issues with it.

You might also want to measure the PET with a caliper to make sure it is in the range of 2.8-2.9. If is not that might be why you are having issues with it.

When i print with the 0.4 ultimaker nozzle it works fine. But when I try the 0.2mm nozzle it causes problems. Iv just checked the nozzle and it might be clogged the nozzle is full but nothing comes out of the hole .

Can you see filament in the nozzle tip? Do you have it disassembled? What is your layer height when you print with the 0.2 nozzle?

Can you see filament in the nozzle tip? Do you have it disassembled? What is your layer height when you print with the 0.2 nozzle?

Hi , nope no filament in the nozzle tip , however when i unscrewed it from the block i could see the nozzle is full. I print at 0.05 layer height. Like i said I get great prints with the stock 0.4m just wanted to upgrade to the 0.2 for finer output. I ordered a cheap 0.2mm nozzle for the ultimaker off of ebay.

You layers are too small. I recommend you get your nozzle from a trustable resource because china could have bad manufacturing of the nozzles on ebay. Can you post some videos/pictures of what happens with the 0.2 mm nozzle.

You layers are too small. I recommend you get your nozzle from a trustable resource because china could have bad manufacturing of the nozzles on ebay. Can you post some videos/pictures of what happens with the 0.2 mm nozzle?

You layers are too small. I recommend you get your nozzle from a trustable resource because china could have bad manufacturing of the nozzles on ebay. Can you post some videos/pictures of what happens with the 0.2 mm nozzle?

Sure i can do that , well i have printed 0.05mm and even 0.02 layer height and the prints come out great with the stock 0.4mm nozzle . Just trying to use the new 0.2mm. I was able to get a print done halfway through then i gues my retraction was too high and the platic was getting stuck in the white PTFE coupling , i cleared that jam and put back together but now i get no more plastic coming out of the nozzle end even though it is full of plastic inside so i guess it must be clogged. There could be some residue from other filaments i tried to print with before such as the mouldlay wax and or PLA .

Try to clean the nozzle as best you can, the hotend, the tubing, and even maybe the bowden stepper motor.

I just cleaned the nozzle , put it in a special burn out oven then blased it with a compressor. It was definatly clogged. Gonna try to print now with new colourfabb PLA i bought. Dont know if I should drop the flow rate from 100% to 70% to compensat efor the smaller 0.2mm nozzle ?

I think you should keep it 100% and see what happens.

Flow rate drop?  No.   Speed?  Maybe.

20mm/sec * .2 * .05 (layer height) is 0.2 cubic mm/sec.  At 210C (PLA, not PET) the .4 can do about 2.5 cubic mm/sec with .4mm nozzle.  But this nozzle hole is 1/4 the area so I would expect it can print about 0.6 cubic mm/sec.  So your speed seems okay.  But I've never printed PET and maybe it's much more viscous at 210C than PLA is but I suspect they are similar.