Ultimaker 2+ extrusion kit on early Ultimaker 2 models.

starslush

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ extrusion kit on early Ultimaker 2 models.

Hi all.

I have tried to install the new Ultimaker 2+ kit for my Ultimaker 2, and have a few issues that I bumped into.

1. The Hot End Fan was not connected to the middle connector of the main board, but on the 4 pin serial connector pin 1 and 2. Do I use the center plug or the serial plug after the upgrade? It seems that the fan has the same speed on both connectors. What do I use?

DSC_0004.thumb.jpg.f694ef6152af95b13bab26d6d29c27df.jpg

2. No Ferrite core on the motor cables. My version did not have these. Will it be better if I had?

3. There was a statement on this in the installation manual that helped me that had the old board. Note: If you have an older model of the main board on your Ultimaker, you need to loosen the screws instead of pressing to remove the wires. Kudos to the installation guide.

4. The X axis limit switch was not the same as Y axis limit switch. The long lip on the switch has a funny bend on this one, but not on the Y axis. Are the switches supposed to be the same? I have problems that the head will not press the limit switch all the times due to its bend and it will not click all the times. I may try to make the holes for the alignment screws 1 - 2 mm wider.

Is it only my printer that has these experiences with the new upgrade kit?

DSC_0003.thumb.jpg.e77ce29a3a86a6f65b35af7ef7e4a73e.jpg

DSC_0004.thumb.jpg.f694ef6152af95b13bab26d6d29c27df.jpg

DSC_0003.thumb.jpg.e77ce29a3a86a6f65b35af7ef7e4a73e.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ extrusion kit on early Ultimaker 2 models.

1. Use the connector in the middle of the board.

2. Mine doesn't have the Ferrite core as well. I'm not sure how much it help but it will work without it.

3. yep, that's white manuals are for.

4. The bend on the switch is normal. Sometimes this needs to be bent to make sure the head is in the middle of the print area. Sometimes the head will hit one side of the machine, so you bend that tag to make it move away from the edge.

• Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ extrusion kit on early Ultimaker 2 models.

The ferrite core is there to cut down on EMF from the printer. It's more to comply with regulation testing than anything. These were added to the UM2 quite late.

• Like 1