infill structures

kyma5

Posted · infill structures

Hi,

I started the construction of my first stl-objekt with Turbo CAD V17 as an volume body. Exported to Netfabb as .stl for repairing. Then opened with cura for slicing and printing.

I've added some pictures / screenshots : I choosed in cura 100% density for a solid objekt. But neither the slice nor the print is solid. Could somebody help me?

Untill now I did not found a realy good tutorial for creating stl-objects. The short small dumb videos of Netfabb aren't very helpfull.

kyma 5

First off, you are running into the "thin wall problem", try setting the wall thickness to 0.4mm, this might sound strange, but it could help.

Next, I see some serious backlash issues in your print, this is mechanical and usually the short belts that are not tight enough. I can see this because what should have been circles are more square.

Finally, is that ABS or PLA? I recommend by starting with PLA, as ABS is a bit harder to print with.

Hi Daid,

its PLA. I already placed belt tensioners on all 4 belts. But possibly the wrong one (image)Can you recommend better belt tensioners?

I'll change the wall thickness to 0.4 mm and try again.

Thanks

Daid is talking about the short belts that connect directly to the steppers. Loosen the four screws, push down firmly on the motor so that the belt is _tight_ and then re-tighten the screws.

And the reason for the "magic" 0.4mm is because that's the size of the nozzle so multiples of 0.4 will not leave spaces that are hard to fill in. Some slicers do this better than others but keeping to multiples of 0.4 where possible helps avoid the problem in the first place.

yeah, the small belts weren't tight enough!

So, now it looks round. But is there no possibility to print are real solid body? Without the gaps? Is this a question of construction or a question of the parameters of the printing software?

kyma5

Not necessarily with cura/sf, which has problems with thin walls and the infill between them. Try cheating with a smaller nozzle diameter setting in cura, until the preview looks good and prints well. Or try kisslicer, which has good habndling of thin walls.

Thanks,

a nozzle parameter of 0,2 mm gives a quiet nice print!