Nylon finishing

JohnFox

Posted · Nylon finishing

Has anyone got ideas about the best way to finish Nylon prints? I have been trying out the Taulman 'Alloy 910' which prints reasonably well but I need to remove all the little bits of stringing on some of the surfaces. My standard method of wet and dry paper doesn't seem to work.

Posted · Nylon finishing

Hi there.

If you are getting stringing and/or little bumps, try turning up your retraction settings a bit. Mine hover between 5.50mm@35mm/s and 7.50mm@45mm/s in extreme cases. I even used 10.50mm once on NinjaFlex and it seemed to actually make an improvement, but that felt rather extreme to me.

Other than that, I cut bits off with flush cutters and an Xacto/hobby knife. I find 3D printed part quite whittle-able if you are careful.

Taulman says nylon can be dyed, but I do not know about finishing. I do not know why sanding the crap out of it would not work either. Maybe try taking a Dremel/rotary tool to it? (More power! Ha ha ha!) ;)

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Nylon finishing

I'd be tempted to try a test print in the oven for a while (annealing)... or even perhaps one of those cheap pressure/all weather lighters to see if melting off the strings works better... but doesn't spoil the look of the print of course.

Annealing Reinforced Nylon

muck luck...

Edited by Guest