Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
JohnFox

Nylon finishing

Has anyone got ideas about the best way to finish Nylon prints? I have been trying out the Taulman 'Alloy 910' which prints reasonably well but I need to remove all the little bits of stringing on some of the surfaces. My standard method of wet and dry paper doesn't seem to work.

Hi there.

If you are getting stringing and/or little bumps, try turning up your retraction settings a bit. Mine hover between 5.50mm@35mm/s and 7.50mm@45mm/s in extreme cases. I even used 10.50mm once on NinjaFlex and it seemed to actually make an improvement, but that felt rather extreme to me.

Other than that, I cut bits off with flush cutters and an Xacto/hobby knife. I find 3D printed part quite whittle-able if you are careful.

Taulman says nylon can be dyed, but I do not know about finishing. I do not know why sanding the crap out of it would not work either. Maybe try taking a Dremel/rotary tool to it? (More power! Ha ha ha!) ;)

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck! :)

I'd be tempted to try a test print in the oven for a while (annealing)... or even perhaps one of those cheap pressure/all weather lighters to see if melting off the strings works better... but doesn't spoil the look of the print of course.

Annealing Reinforced Nylon

muck luck...

Edited by Guest