Feature request for RepG26

joergen

Posted · Feature request for RepG26

is it possible to include a temp control in the live tuning window?

it would be important for printing with mixed filaments, plus it can be used for temp tuning during a print.

joergen

• 3 weeks later...

RepG26b2 is out:

http://software.Ultimaker.com/?show=all

Can we have, pretty please, temperature control in the live tuning window? (please also add 2 buttons for +- temp (1 deg steps), so the user can change it without having to worry about moving the slider abruptly into the wrong direction.)

Also, I would change the fan speed slider to eliminate the "set" button, to make the user experience coherent with the behaviors of the other sliders.

• 2 months later...

As a new user, I have a couple of questions and comments RepG26. I know that beggars can't be choosers, and I understand that writing and revising this software is a labor of love. I appreciate all the efforts that are being spent on behalf of the rest of us users who don't have a clue what you guys do to make this software work. In a word - Thanks.

For some reason when I am warming up, trying to prime the print nozzle the control window seems to take forever when I give it a stop command. Typically I have been issuing a temp request for the print head. When the head gets hot enough to extrude, I give a forward extrude command. Depending on the state of the print head it might take a few minutes to get a consistent extrusion. When I do get that, and ask it to stop, it takes like what seems like 5 minutes sometimes to actually stop. All the while burning up filament and making a mess. Maybe I should just go back to the main screen and start my print? Would starting the print interrupt the manual function if its not completed? It might be difficult to keep the tip and print bed clean prior to starting the print if I interrupt the manual forward command. I think maybe a jog forward may work better - sort of like the axis controls.

What does the extruder rpm relate to? I can see that when I put in 1000, that it is not 1000rpm as it shows on the screen. I am thinking that the units are mis-labeled. Or maybe its 100rpm. Dunno. Small thing really.

When RepG is used to send Gcode that was generated on other software, is RepG just passing the instructions thru or does it alter them in any way? I mean other than the live controls.

Thanks again, and I apologize for hijacking the original post.

Matt

For some reason when I am warming up, trying to prime the print nozzle the control window seems to take forever when I give it a stop command. Typically I have been issuing a temp request for the print head. When the head gets hot enough to extrude, I give a forward extrude command.

Matt,

the extruder doesn't really work in the control window.

as long as the extruder stepper isn't engaged, simply turn the wooden cog/wheel by hand to prime.

(related to this, you can turn the z-axis (while engaged) when the print starts to fine tune the first layer (mostly when the head plows through your blue tape, or when you are printing into mid air...)

the extruder doesn't really work in the control window.

It does in RepG 26 didn't in RepG 25

and Matt the quickest way to stop it is to start your print, works fine

Our new UltiRepG 0033 will have it. We hope to release it next monday. We will hopefully have a version for beta testing on friday.

Whoho! Will the defaults be right this time? :p

Still, I rather print with Pronterface, but that's just because Pronterface is better at printing.

Our new UltiRepG 0033 will have it. We hope to release it next monday. We will hopefully have a version for beta testing on friday.

Looking forward to it. I'm a fan of RepG myself. :)

Looking forward to it. I'm a fan of RepG myself. :)

Just out of curiosity, what makes RepG better for you then other solutions? (Not wanting to force you to use something else. I think more possible software solution are a good thing as you can learn from one another)

Mainly to edit GCode in the Window and this mainly involves removing M109's. I also have a bed levelling routine that moves the nozzle around to the 4 corners and I need to edit it to do the next corner and so on. I can't see a good way to do this in Pronter. I also prefer the control panel slightly. I think it's better looking too.

I use pronter for bigger prints when RepG can't handle them, though I have had one big print crash from Pronter at 121mm z height. When I tried the same print but altered a bit later on it crashed at the same height. The thing at that height had no major change in structure. It was sort of a funnel. The black command window had some message about an error with the serial port but unfortunately I lost that window before I could write down what it said.

What is it you prefer about Pronter?

I prefer pronter because it allows you to preview the GCode.

And the direct movement controls are relative moves, those in RepG are absolute, which caused me to move a hot printer head into a print once.

I like the fact that you can set the baudrate.

You can edit GCode in Pronterface, load the GCode file and then use "File -> Edit...", it's a bit more clumsy then RepG.

I miss the temperature curve from RepG.

I like the fact that you can define custom buttons, and use those during the print.

About the crash, I've seen that once myself. But I had loads of problems with RepG not connecting from my laptop at all. It seems the Serial USB drivers from windows are not always that stable.

Is there an update to this announcement? I can't find any further information about this update.

Is there an update to this announcement? I can't find any further information about this update.

Someone is working on it pretty hard, and they are getting closer to a release. But they ran into some issues that they want to solve first. (That's all I can share right now)