Pause at height - Nozzle temp alternating cooling/heating + Quick fix

closedcircuit

Posted (edited) · Pause at height - Nozzle temp alternating cooling/heating + Quick fix

I came across a little bug this morning. I was printing with a pause at layer 49 to change filaments. When asked to do so, I selected the wrong filament by accident (NGEN instead of PLA). I cancelled the "change filament" process, restarted it and selected PLA.

What happened next was that I got stuck with a two messages alternating very quickly: "Heating nozzle..." and "Cooling nozzle...". This continued for several minutes. I tried different things (e.g. selecting a different type of filament and coming back to PLA, resuming and immediately pausing the print, etc.) but nothing worked.

In case this happens to you, my quick fix was to force-feed the new filament until it starts oozing out of the nozzle and resume the print. It's not an elegant solution but it saved my print...

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...
    Posted · Pause at height - Nozzle temp alternating cooling/heating + Quick fix

yep the title was misleading but I wrote down heating cooling and it got me here XD

I solved the problem by updating the firmware of the ultimaker 2, that fixed the issue, but then I stumpled upon a different issue which was the retraction of the filament, was too small so it didn't print well at the start, set the value of the retraction value to make it to 20, that will start printing normally with filament sticking out of the nozzle :)