Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ChrisRiddell

Lifting/bubbling PLA first layer

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right section of the forum for this,

Can someone help the first layer keeps doing this, like its lifting as the nozzle goes back over making bubbles by lifting/tearing.

I leveled the bed, cleaned the glass, used glue stick.

Bed temp is 60c

nozzle 200c

using colorfabb black pla/pha.

layer height: 0.15mm

initial layer height: 0.27mm

initial layer speed: 30mm/s

This was sliced in cura but its even worse when sliced in S3d.

What I'm doing wrong?

14238292_1675981772728650_461082445561680410_n.jpg?oh=8bed2f30d24f72473c9271311cf618ac&oe=5881C6E0

14224843_1676033402723487_8917010446079192905_n.jpg?oh=273ade81bd98d6a4b4b5adca28e49b91&oe=587A7B62

Edited by Guest

That use to happen when the nozzle it's too close to the bed, it drags the printed layer and makes small waves. Readjust the calibration or do it onthe fly by turning the knobs below the bed counterclockwise on the side that's doing that, a little bit.

Visual example https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/146-calibration

Edited by Guest

Hi,

I was undergoing kind og the same problem with my UMO+.

I ajusted the bed as good as i could with the paper method.

After i did a few bedlevelling tests while ajusting on the fly.

Bed levelling test i used :

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:174884

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1306709

With test like these i got it just right.

As a note, i found out that if you move the bed or the hotend around too much by hand, the levelling may be corroupted. so stay to the mechanical way of moving around the hardware.

Altso, in my experience, i print PLA with 58C-60C bed temperture and brim. It Works great. - you may not need the gluestick for adhesion.

Yeah seems a bit too close. Rotate the 3 co trol points under the bed clockwise just little bit (the same amount on the 3 points). You don't actually need to run the full calibration m, and as soon you get use to do a fast onthefly fix the sooner you will be able to fix the calibration. Also once you get that calibration right you probably won't need to doit again for a month or so, unless you scratch the bed or push it hard when cleaning.

starting to think its more an adhesion issue now as I been printing that bed level test print and got it pretty good now but I'm seeing it peel on the start of each new line and when the the nozzle comes back to start a new line it catches that little lift. would it be the glue stick not playing nice with this brand PLA as I had no issues at all with the ultimaker brand PLA.

Can the PLA be printed on the glass with no glue if i give it a wipe over with isopropyl first to get ride of any oils etc.?

I'm printing PLA straight on the glass. About 60C and just a clean glass.

I've heard that some have problems with adhesion if the glass is too clean. (mabye its the cleaning agent that is the sinner) but i clean the glass with a bit of normal glasscleaner once in a while when i feel the need.