Cura 2.1.3 Feedback

slurton

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.1.3 Feedback

1. Name of File - DO NOT add the name of the printer to the name of the file. Most if not all, printers do not have a display wide enough to display both the name of the file to be printed and the name of the printer.

2. Profile - It's nice that we can save different profiles within the tool, however we can't save the profile as a file name without exporting and importing. The save all should save all, the stl file, profile, gcode file and the model as it was placed on the build plate. All it saves right now is the gcode file which it cant open like the previous version of cura.

I'm a 30 year IT person and one thing I have noticed is that younger developer have lost the ability to empathize with the users of their software.

The file name is proof of this. No user on the plant would want it to do this.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.1.3 Feedback

1. Cura 2.x does not add the name of the printer to the filename (aka "name of the file"). It prefixes a 2-3 letter abbreviation of the Printer Name so that those of us who own more than one 3D Printer can quickly determine which Printer that .gcode was generated for (just in case we save them and reprint them later - I do this a lot). Furthermore most printers don't even display the filename or the printer name when printing. So this is irrelevant.

2. Take a look at the end of the .gcode file. You're a IT Person, you should be able to view it.

;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 2\\nname = Normal Quality\\;SETTING_3 ndefinition = fdmprinter\\n\\n[metadata]\\nweight = -2\\ntype = quali;SETTING_3 ty\\nquality_type = normal\\n\\n[values]\\n\\n"}

You will notice that it contains the Quality Name, Printer Name and any variations of on those settings.

Now, take a look at Manage Profile / Import. In there you will find in the File Type drop-down that '.gcode' files can be imported. This only only restores your object to it location on the print bed, but also all the Meta data associated with it: Printer Name, Profile Name, Deviations of Settings, etc.

Also, note that Cura 2.3 is BETA. As an IT Manager for 35 years to an IT Person as yourself, I'm sure you understand what the term 'Beta' means. So not everything is going to be working 100% with this release. As a result, this particular import function appears to have an issue in importing .gcode files. Which according to the priorities put forth by the Managers and Applications Owners of said software, may or may not get corrected in the next release. Sometimes this does not always correlate with End User's wishes.

I'm a 30 year IT person and one thing I have noticed is that younger developer have lost the ability to empathize with the users of their software.

Wow. I can't even ... I'm at a loss for words...

As for your last statement: I am a user on this planet, and as I stated in #1 above, this can be quite useful.

If you have ideas and opinions, as an IT Manager of 35 years, I have found using a Carrot instead of a Stick gets more accomplished...